Calgary radio aircheck November 1979 - next week

A look back at various radio stations

Calgary radio aircheck November 1979 - next week

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:32 pm

Just a quick head's up on next week's Rock Radio Scrapbook presentation.

"NEXT WEEK ... a look at Calgary radio as it sounded in November, 1979 ... in the Aircheck of the Week."

The site's host, Dale Patterson, tells me that CBC Calgary, CFCN, CKO, CKXL & CHQR will be featured.

Here's the link - http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Some familiar names in the above aircheck.

Here's a summary -

CFCN's Russ Tyson butchering Howard Langdale's jingle and sharing a chuckle with Hap Freeman who gives a traffic report. Russ was filling in for Howard.

Bev Robins on CKO's community calendar.

Jeff Newland on CHQR 810 with the 12 Midnight news using the NW news sounder. Also included is a report from Terry Vogt.

Michelle Jones introducing Kyle Gordon on CKXL at the end of the news.

And David Gell with Norris Bick on CBC Radio Calgary.
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: Calgary radio aircheck November 1979 - next week

Postby cart_machine » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:09 am

albertaboy4life wrote:Just a quick head's up on next week's Rock Radio Scrapbook presentation.

"NEXT WEEK ... a look at Calgary radio as it sounded in November, 1979 ... in the Aircheck of the Week."

The site's host, Dale Patterson, tells me that CBC Calgary, CFCN, CKO, CKXL & CHQR will be featured.

How did CKO make it into a rock radio scrapbook?

I haven't seen Bev's name in ages. I can't remember too many who would have been there then. Greg Bohnert would have been news director. I imagine Bill Pringle and Doug Gossen were also there at that point.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:43 am

Fair point about the CKO aircheck - the site's host doesn't stick literally to the rock radio handle. In the past he's also featured an aircheck of Bill Anderson playing country music on CFGM Toronto.

The voice after Bev's report really reminds of someone from CKUA but I can't think of his name.

Wouldn't Doug Gossen have been at CHFM at the time with Linda ?, during morning drive? Or was that closer to 1982/83?
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:22 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:The voice after Bev's report really reminds of someone from CKUA but I can't think of his name.

I agree. That really sounds like Bill Coull. Other than the period when CKUA was off the air in the late 1990s, everything I've seen and heard indicates that Bill spent his entire career at CKUA, initially working part-time in 1963 while attending the University of Alberta. Bill retired to Calgary in January 2004 to celebrate his 60th birthday. But he can still be heard doing some of the Alberta Blue Cross ads for their Seniors Plus plans.

Earlier in 1979, I was still listening to Bill most afternoons on CKUA. I switched to Edmonton's new K-96 later that same year. Assuming it really is Bill, I'd be more inclined to believe that he was moonlighting, as CKUA was in very good financial condition at that point, owned by provincial Crown Corporation ACCESS Alberta, and installing new FM transmitters all over the province at the time.

Here is Bill's bio as best I could research it from published sources: http://www.edmontonbroadcasters.com/C/#coullb
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:53 pm

albertaboy4life wrote: Wouldn't Doug Gossen have been at CHFM at the time with Linda ?, during morning drive?

Hmm. In thinking about it, he might have been, AB. It's sometimes hard to remember when people came and went. I keep forgetting it was 30 years ago the network was running. It seems like only yesterday I was looking at blank lines in every quarter hour on the BBM.

I do remember Doug and Arnie Jackson doing a junior hockey game together on CKO, and during the short portion I was listening Doug basically repeated everything Arnie was saying. That was probably about 1984. But Doug had been at CKO for awhile by then.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History