CKWX

A look back at various radio stations

CKWX

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:31 am

One of the best, if the not the greatest, descriptions of CKWX and its evolution.... updated by Gord Lansdell

http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/list ... storyID=35
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

I second Top Dog

Postby johnsykes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:50 pm

I have a question.....there is a mention of one Laurie Irving......I covered many World Curling Championships overseas and recall meeting a Laurie Irving on more than one occasion...would he be one in the same? maybe out of Regina sometime?
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Re: CKWX

Postby cart_machine » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Top Dog wrote:One of the best, if the not the greatest, descriptions of CKWX and its evolution.... updated by Gord Lansdell

Gord's done a fine job, TD. The only things I've noticed are something that could be a footnote (or perhaps just its my opinion), and an implication.

When discussing the change to country, one of the keys to 'WX's early success was the wholesale hiring of some of Joe Chesney's staff at CJJC. At least, I've always been left with that impression. Someone who knows the ratings numbers from that period may wish to correct me.

The second deals with the change to news, and perhaps it's a paragraph structure thing. The paragraph can leave the impression Andy Walsh was hired when the station changed format, which wasn't the case. He arrived about a year after the move to news. The main announcer hires in the first year, after the change, were Brian Brenn, Ted Schellenberg, Eric Westra and Jim Bennie, in that order (in other words, people who later went on to work a day-shift). Andy came not too many months later.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History