The Last Soundathon: Site Update

A look back at various radio stations

The Last Soundathon: Site Update

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:52 am

Today is the anniversary date of the last Soundathon, which ran from July 15 to 23 during the "Summer of Love" 1967.
Unlike the summer Soundathons of past years which featured only summer hits, Soundathon #14 was a full-fledged Top 300 like the year-end Soundathons.

1. To commemorate this event the Soundathon 14 chart is now posted on the Vancouver Top Forty Radio website, which essentially completes the section of my site devoted to the Soundathons.

2. Audio!! Below the chart you'll find what I hope you'll consider a big treat -- over 77 minutes of audio from this event! This audio was recorded by Frank Carpenter, a longtime resident of the United Kingdom. During the mid-1960s, while in his early twenties, he lived in Vancouver's Kitsilano district. He attended BCIT with the hope of breaking into radio in our city, and while Frank says that didn't happen here, he did eventually get into radio in the UK, and even did broadcasting stints in Tehran, Iran and Vienna, Austria. He recorded this audio using a professional portable UHER 4000L mono reel-to-reel recorder.

Frank sent me over 5 hours of Soundathon audio on 4 CDs, which I edited down to 77 minutes by scoping the songs. DJs heard in this audio include Peter Alpen, Terry David Mulligan, Neil Soper, Lee Gabori, John Tanner and (briefly) Red Robinson.
You'll also hear parts of local C-FUN newscasts describing the racial strife in Detroit and a major earthquake in Turkey. The audio is presented in four parts for easier loading into your mp3 player. If anyone out there remembers Frank from his BCIT years, he would love to hear from you. You can contact him via my email.

Two months after the last Soundathon aired, on September 16, 1967, C-FUN exited the Top Forty format, ending a chapter in radio history.

3. Miscellaneous - A few of you may have noticed that I have removed Bruce Stewart's digital 1960 Olds image that adorned my Station Selection page. This is temporary. It will appear on another part of my site in the very near future.

4. Three new sites listed on my Links page: 1) Rainier Radio devoted to the radio history of Seattle and Washington state, 2) Bay Area Radio Museum devoted to radio history in the San Francisco Bay area, and 3) Playa Cofi Jukebox, where you can hear the top songs of the golden age of popular music.

More in the works and more to come.

Regards

Jim
Vancouver "Top Forty" Radio
http://www.VancouverTop40Radio.com
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:57 am

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History