CKWX Joins Great Dominion Network

A look back at various radio stations

Postby cart_machine » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:54 pm

Confirmation of reports that Vancouver will play a major part in a future Dominion-wide broadcasting chain is contained in an announcement made today by A. Holstead, owner of CKWX, that his station would be one of the key transmitters in the Trans-Canada company network to start operations about October 1.
Negotiations for the tie-in of CKWX have been completed and arrangements for lines have been made, it is stated. CKWX has a power of 100 watts and was formerly CFDC, the call letters being changed some time ago. Harold W. Paulson is director and chief announcer of the station.
According to the official announcement from CKWX the Trans-Canada company network will be divided into two sectors, one embracing Eastern Canada with CKGW, Toronto, as the major distributor and the other for Western Canada with CFCN, Calgary, as the major distributor.
The announcement states that CFCN, Calgary; CKY, Winnipeg; CJRW, Fleming, Saskatchewan, and CKWX, Vancouver, will be permanent stations on the western hookup. Other stations in Western Canada which will be utilized will be CJCA, Edmonton; CJOC, Lethbridge; CJRN, Moose Jaw; CHWC, Regina; CJHS and CFQC, Saskatoon, and CJGX, Yorkton.
In Eastern Canada all major transmitters in the largest cities will be participating in the network broadcasts, it is announced.
While CFCN, Calgary, will provide the programs for Western Canada, CKWX officials state that several programs will likely be broadcast from its studios over the network.

- Vancouver Sun, August 25, 1928

NOTE: Below the story is an ad:

The Most Asked for Batteryless Radio in Canada
More ROGERS a/c Sold Than All Other Electric Sets Combined.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby islandkid » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:39 pm

"CKWX Joins Great Dominion Network"

The headline had me going .. since CJOR was the Vancouver affiliate of the Dominion network.
During World War II the CBC put together a second coast-to-coast radio network
.. using their 2nd Toronto AMer CJBC as the keystone of the Dominion Network .. with private affiliates in every other major market.

The Dominion network was a lot more commercial than the Trans-Canada network .. which would be equivalent to today's Radio One service.
The Dominion wasn't a fulltime service .. operating most days during the evening hours only .. which in the pre-TV years was really prime time.

I don't know that the network talked about in the 1928 newspaper story ever went anywhere. The Great Depression of 1929 might have had something to do with it.
islandkid

Postby cart_machine » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:03 pm

islandkid wrote: I don't know that the network talked about in the 1928 newspaper story ever went anywhere. The Great Depression of 1929 might have had something to do with it.

Hmmm. I don't think so, IK. It was supposed to be operational by Oct. 1, 1928. My guess would be the huge cost (CBS's funds when it started as UIB were quickly eaten by line costs. As well, a whole network staff structure would have to be set up). The only way of knowing would be to dig through a bunch of old newspapers to see if there was a follow-up story.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:51 pm

Great stuff cArtie!

Keep it comin'
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:54 am

radiofan wrote: Great stuff cArtie!

Keep it comin'

Well, RF, I just spotted this classified newspaper ad .. but it's a little late for you:

RADIO DISC JOCKEY WANTED, MUST
have original presentation. CKMO Vancouver.

Winnipeg Free Press, Thursday, June 30, 1949

I wonder who they hired?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:14 am

radiofan wrote: Great stuff cArtie!

Keep it comin'

Well, I managed to cut this column from a PDF file on the web, RF. Must admit, I've never heard of the chap.

GOING TO FAR EAST
MEDICINE HAT?(HNS) ? Bert Cannings, a native son of Medicine
Hat, is among the Canadian correspondents en route to Korea to
cover Far Eastern affairs. Mr. Cannings, born in 1911, who is news editor
of CKWX, Vancouver, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George A.
Cannings of this city and has many relatives and friends here. His wife
is the former Julia Starks, daughter of the late Mr. Starks, well-known
rancher, and Mrs. Starks, who now resides in Vancouver. Last February
Mr. Cannings represented the broadcasters on Operation Sweetbriar,
the Arctic manoeuvre, and had previously been engaged in
newspaper work in Calgary and Edmonton and was an officer with
R C A.F. public relations during the war.

Lethbridge Herald, Tuesday, Nov. 21, 1950

And I thought Jeremy Crittenden was the only CKWX star from the Hat!

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History