Canadian Top 40?

A look back at various radio stations

Canadian Top 40?

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:39 pm

There's a note on the "big yellow board" at sowny.ca about American Top 40 airing on CKOC and then a string of replies including the moderator, Craig Smith, mentioning the Canadian Top 40 circa 1974.

I don't remember that countdown. But it reminded me of others that I do remember.

The Weekly Music Magazine with Greg Haraldson (aired Saturday mornings on CKXL in Calgary and then on Sunday nights on CHED in Edmonton and CKLG in Vancouver). Remember it running in the early '80s.

In the mid-'80s, the Canadian Countdown with Russ McCloud (I think it aired on a weeknight live from CHUM in Toronto). CHED and 'XL both carried it. But CHED's feed always sounded like the reverb was cranked too high.

And in the late '70s Ken Connors hosting the Big 40 Countdown Saturday afternoons on CHED.

Anybody else?
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Re: Canadian Top 40?

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:45 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:There's a note on the "big yellow board" at sowny.ca about American Top 40 airing on CKOC and then a string of replies including the moderator, Craig Smith, mentioning the Canadian Top 40 circa 1974.

I don't remember that countdown. But it reminded me of others that I do remember.

The Weekly Music Magazine with Greg Haraldson (aired Saturday mornings on CKXL in Calgary and then on Sunday nights on CHED in Edmonton and CKLG in Vancouver). Remember it running in the early '80s.

In the mid-'80s, the Canadian Countdown with Russ McCloud (I think it aired on a weeknight live from CHUM in Toronto). CHED and 'XL both carried it. But CHED's feed always sounded like the reverb was cranked too high.

And in the late '70s Ken Connors hosting the Big 40 Countdown Saturday afternoons on CHED.

Anybody else?
Somewhere I have a demo or sample show of Canadian Top 40 .. It was produced out of Vancouver (might have been CKLG) and was hosted by Michael W. Morgan .. I'll see if I can dig it up and post some ..
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:48 pm

U da man! Radiofan.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:45 pm

You mean...Joanie Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot...David Clayton Thomas, Sarah McLaughlin....errr....Joanie Mitchell...
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:47 pm

I said it that way because that's the way stations pump it out.....I could also include The Guess Who, Paul Anka once in a blue moon.....the Beaumarks (who? you mean they were Canadian? no they were Quebeccers)
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Michael Morgan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Canadian Top 40 was produced out of Pinewood Studios in Vancouver in Studio C hosted by Michael W Morgan and produced by Doug price. It aired from 1974 1976 on 55 radio stations coast to coast for 3hours usually on Saturday morning. it was the first and only truly national countdown syndication in Canada at the time using RPM magazine for its numbers. Canadian Top 40 boasted 200,00 listeners in its prime and was nationally sponsored by Colgate Palmolive, Lifesavers and Proctor and Gamble. It lead Michael Morgan as Executive Producer to develop a long library of radio syndications, David Suzuki's Discovery (10 yrs on air sponsored by the Royal Bank). The One Minute Manager with author Dr. Ken Blanchard (sponsored national telco's) In Session with David Foster Nissan), Terry Mulligan and Bruce Allen, Celebrity Sports Report. The Loverboy Nissan National Tour On air,the Royal Bank's Money Special, Psychic Investigator and the Nissan Night before Christmas. Michael Morgan Communications was a pioneer in Canadian radio syndication for over two decades.
Michael Morgan

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks for that info Michael and welcome to the board!
Did Canadian Top 40 air on CKLG when you were there. I was in my late teens at the time, and recall a 'Top' show.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Michael Morgan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:09 pm

It ran saturday morning 11:00AM -1:00PM at that time I was on 6-9PM duking it out with CFUN's Tom Luca weekdays
Michael Morgan

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:50 am

And in all my years in radio from St. John's to Victoria Michael Morgan & Asssociates is certainly one of the BEST places I worked, both in the little house next to CFUN and down on fancy Pender Street (left places I shoulda stayed and stayed at places I shoulda left...)

Thanks again Michael for helping me with my annual coast to coast Canada Day syndication 'Countdown Canada'.

Michael was THE respected name in syndication in this country.
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History