Canadian Radio and Television Annual, 1950

A look back at various radio stations

Re: Canadian Radio and Television Annual, 1950

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:06 am

Just a prairie guy - thanks for pointing that out.

Can you tell me if you published Laurie Irving bio on this thread. I cannot for the life of me
find any reference here or on the www

jon the smilies bouncing on my right are affecting my computor as I type. The cursor is going crazy.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:11 am

Jack Bennest wrote:jon the smilies bouncing on my right are affecting my computor as I type. The cursor is going crazy.

Time to change from a Commodore 64! My cursor's flashing, but that's about it. (computer)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:41 am

Looks like I better move the moving smilies off the visible list, where you'll have to click on View more smilies to see them.

I'll be gone until later in the day, but I'll fix them then.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 am

jon wrote:Looks like I better move the moving smilies off the visible list, where you'll have to click on View more smilies to see them.

I'll be gone until later in the day, but I'll fix them then.

Don't change it just because one guy who can't even spell computer complains!
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:45 am

Cameron Bell tells me two of the more interesting people at the RPM lunch were Ross Crain and Cornel Sawchuk - both worked in the 50's in Vancouver.

If you guys with the CRTA books could look them up that would be great

Sawchuk was at CKMO and Crain at WX

Maybe the books are from a time before they showed up in radio.

Howaboutthat - take a nice pill and call me in the morning or get back to the carwash and do some work.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Justaprairieguy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 am

This is what’s listed for Laurie Irving in the 1950 Canadian Radio and Television Annual:

IRVING, Laurie; Prog. Mgr., CKWX, Vancouver; b. Victoria, BC, 1913; U. of BC; marr; former radio serviceman; 34, CKFC, Vanc’r., ch. Eng., later ch. Anncr.; 37, CFJC, Kamloops, anncr., writer, opr.; 41, CKWX; 42, ch. Anncr.; 43, asst. porg. Mgr.; 45, present post.; home, 3884 Dundas St. (GL. 0851-M); bus., CKWX (MA. 3344).

There’s no mention of Ross Crain and Cornel Sawchuk .
Justaprairieguy
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks again Justaprairieguy
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Laurie Irving : "home, 3884 Dundas St. (GL. 0851-M"

Wow. A published home adress and home phone. :shock: Such innocent times those folks lived and worked in.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:36 pm

That address is a working class area of Burnaby North - come down the hill onto Hastings - past the PNE - into the city in about 10 minutes or less in those days.

Mind you I was not playing in that traffic at the age of 3.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 pm

The house is still there.
Blue/Gray Craftsman home, second from the corner of Ingleton and Dundas on the south side of the street.
In the innocence of 1950, I wonder if Mr. Irving could have, in his wildest dreams, imagined that 60 years later some stranger, using a personal home computer, would possess the technology to look up 3884 Dundas and, on a 20 inch color TV monitor, zoom in for a view of his front door.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 pm

BossRadio wrote:Wow. A published home adress and home phone. :shock: Such innocent times those folks lived and worked in.

It's considered no different than looking it up in the phone book, PT. The name, address and phone number are all there. The section of the book, judging by the prairie chap's notes, is similar to "Who's Who," which did the exact sort of thing, though it would generally list the name of the church denomination to which the person belonged.

Mind you, when "Who's Who" was invented, there was no such thing as unlisted phone numbers.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Those WERE more innocent times.
I had a listed phone number in Kelowna and never had any problem calls.
I started with a listed number in Lethbridge but as soon as I started appearing on TV, the thing would ring with viewers wanting to know all sorts of things at any time of the day or night.
I soon switched over to unlisted and have had an unlisted home line ever since.
In our building here in Kits, on the intercom board in the lobby, almost all the suites simply now are listed as "occupied."
The mail boxes only have suite numbers.
Way too many chances for identity theft, break and enter artists and other con men/women who really don't need to know who lives there or what number to call on the phone.
But if anyone really wants to find out almost any information about you, it's all available on the 'net, if you know how to look.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Justaprairieguy wrote:This is what’s listed for Laurie Irving in the 1950 Canadian Radio and Television Annual:

Hmm. There's an echo in here. :)

Jack Bennest wrote:Can you tell me if you published Laurie Irving bio on this thread. I cannot for the life of me
find any reference here or on the www

Better put away the Jim Beam for awhile, Jack. All you had to do was go back earlier in the thread.

Jack Bennest wrote:you must have the book Jim - I cannot for the life of me find any bio info on this thread.

Prairieguy was gracious enough to post a little bio on Wm. Herbert Scoresby Skelton. Must be those damned flashing cursors blinding your eyes.

And, at the risk of repeating myself like an actual in a BN wraparound, I don't have the book. Snippets are available on the web. Most snippets don't have the full bio; the Laurie Irving one did.

Here's another one:

HANLON, Patricia M.; Continuity writer, CKOK, Penticton; b. Nanaimo, B.C., 1928; single; 48, CKOK; home, 777 Argyle St. (301-R).

I can't read all the one for Mr. Cleaver's almost colleague, G.C. Hansen, but I can read two snippets, thus:

HANSEN, G. Christian (Chris) F.; Anncr., CKOV, Kelowna, B.C.; b. North Battleford, Sask., 1923; marr.; stepston; entered radio
[missing copy]
then to CFJC, Kamloops, as writer, anncr.-opr. and later prog. dir.; 49, joined CKOV; chairman, Kelowna br. Candn. Arthritis & Rheumatism Soc. (B.C. Div.); Jr. Ch. of Commerce; home, 1660 Ethel St. (48-Y); bus. CKOV (200) .

Anyway, it's a shame that some of these people, especially those who worked in Vancouver and Edmonton, don't have their biographic pieces from this book readily available on the Broadcasters web sites for those two cities. While these aren't generally pioneer radio people, they are from the "Golden Days" and information about them isn't always easy to find.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Justaprairieguy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:14 am

Here's the cover and some radio station ads from the 1950 CRTA ...

Justaprairieguy
Advanced Member

Postby Justaprairieguy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 am

Here's part two ... more radio station ads from the 1950 CRTA ...

Justaprairieguy
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Radio Station History