Early 1970's Gold Rotation

A look back at various radio stations

Early 1970's Gold Rotation

Postby radiofan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Before the days of computers and music scheduling programs, the jocks got to pick their own music
from various categories ... and they got to play records .. At CKVN in Vancouver, the jocks had to
write the date and initial it each time the song was played .. On this sleeve you can see the initials
of folks like Bob Boving; Major Tom Lewis; J Lee Smith; Tom Jeffries etc etc ..

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Early 1970's Gold Rotation

Postby Steve Sanderson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:39 pm

I swear I carried that out of a cramped back room in a box of 1000's!!!
:shock:
:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:01 am

An interesting piece of music programming history here; when released, "Reason to Believe" was the "A" side of this 45 and it wasn't until those "jocks with freedom" of the time decided that the "B" side was pretty good too, flipped it over and made "Maggie May" the biggest hit Rod Stewart ever had. You sure can't do that now, however, in the focus group/consultant driven machine into which this business has mutated, it's worth quoting Margaret Mead one more time:

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

BTW, I also recognize Terry Mulligan's initials on the sleeve but can't seem to place who "RS" might be.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:08 am

RS was Rick Shannon aka Kirk Wilson.
JLS the amazing J.Lee Smith.
It was a blast, and we loved it - notice FL - Fred lived behind the station with his wife Blanche and his two Shepards.
I would give a kidney to spend one hour back there just to yell " enjoy it all".
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History