CJOR Remember When?

A look back at various radio stations

CJOR Remember When?

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:47 am

I will be posting some historical pix from Fred Lichota

maybe someone can help me with the date and why Burns was not invited onto the alien ship?

maybe someone can help with the names on the far right of the balloon
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: CJOR Remember When?

Postby J Kendrick » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:maybe someone can help me with the date and why Burns was not invited onto the alien ship?

Probably because Burns was still in Montreal when Star Wars and "The Force" first became popular in 1977... :)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Pat Burns - Play by play hockey, basketball and water polo BBC U.K. circa 1950; news/sports Vancouver Province 1953; News/Sports Director CKLG Vancouver 1955-63; Burns Hot Line CJOR Vancouver May 13, 1963-1965; CKGM Montreal including Burns Hot Line 1969-76, commentary/major newscasts 1976-80; Hot Line CJOR 1980-88; national CKO-FM; CIMA Vancouver and CKVU-TV Vancouver 1991-92; CITR-FM Vancouver early 1990s. Died in Vancouver June 8, 1996 at age 75

Unfortunately the above is wrong John.

Burns was in Vancouver 1963 to 1965 on CJOR
CKGM 1965 to 1969 - Pat only went to CKGM once
CJOR 1970 to 1988 ?
CKO ?
CIMA ?

I worked with Pat at CJOR 1972 to 1974

Now back to the timeline - I am collecting data on Pat's life so anyone with info please pass it along. I will try to get Gord Lansdell to update his entry above.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:54 pm

So... When John Reynolds left politics to take over OR's morning talk spot, replacing Jack Webster when he made the jump to TV... and Terry Moore was doing the afternoon gig, followed in the late afternoon and evening by Ed Murphy and John Wilson --- I'm struggling to remember that far back ;) --- Where was Pat and his "Hot Line", which Burns liked to call "the programme with no false gods or sacred cows"?

It's two or three years before my time at the "Theatre Under the Stairs", starting when Doug Collins was both News Director and Talk Show host...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:42 pm

"BLowin' it up real good" I can see, besides the obviously legible ones, John Reynolds, Terry Moore, Ed Murphy, John Wilson and then it gets iffy.
I think the last two are Peter Snow? and Pat Roberts?
Do those names ring a bell with anyone?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Woodcarver » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:29 pm

This photo is from CJOR's remote booth at the P.N.E. circa August 1978. The folks pictured are:

Monty McFarlane, Linda Lee, John Reynolds, Terry Moore, Ed Murphy, John Wilson, Peter (Mehling) Cook, Phil (Toomes) Roberts.

Only people that were broadcasting from the remote location were pictured. Pat Burns was still at the station at that time, doing the noon news package and commentaries, but no talk show. Burns returned to his evening talk show spot in March 1980.

Regards,
Fred
Woodcarver

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Maybe you can remember the history Fred. Why was Burns off the air? (not doing a talk show). I think I know part of the reason.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Woodcarver » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:53 am

Pat was removed from his talk show slot and shifted to news and commentaries due to a combination health problems and on-air misdemeanors. Years of hard-drinking were taking a toll on his heath and his talk show ratings had been dropping steadily for a number of years. After a particularly vicious attack of the medical profession got the "Hot Line" in hot water with the CRTC, he was moved to safer ground. Chuck Cook filled the slot on a temporary basis, then John Wilson, and finally John Reynolds before he was moved into the morning slot when Jack Webster left.
Woodcarver

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:58 am

When I started at CKGM in roughly April, 1970, the request line would frequently ring and have someone asking to get on-air with Pat Burns ... who had been long gone by then.

I always wondered what they were listening to before deciding to make the call.

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:17 pm

March 13th, 1980

Thanks to Fred Lichota
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Catching up with this item.....I worked with Pat in Montreal. I came west in 1969.....and eventually joined CJOR in 1973...Pat was already there. End of subject.

J.S.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Scott Russell » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 pm

If it helps, in Fall of 1979, I was an op at CJOR and operated for Pat Burns. I seem to recall opping John Reynolds (from the Hotel Vancouver Studio down the street) early afternoon, Terry Moore mid afternoon, then Pat late afternoon and either John Wilson or Phil Roberts(Toombs)sp(voice track, reel to reel and cart.... later before Dave Doroghy took over the allnight show. We also went to Linda Lee in the Safeway Chopper..which was interesting ..when you are working with delay..and it is a tape loop...Young broadcasters these days would never survive that.. These were the OR 60 "Oh ARE WE THE ONE" days. But if my memory serves me right ..in 1979 he was doing some talk and reading the majors, because I remember stomping on him with a spot or a clip....Never forget it...and he was reading the 5pm major. I do recall that we hit his clips for him.....Dan Russell and I were the two main ops..at that time in the old Grosvenor Hotel...
Scott Russell

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:59 pm

johnsykes wrote:End of subject.
In your opinion.

Subject is open until the book is written and all the fact are in it.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:29 pm

A contribution by John Sykes

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Everyone, Haven't been on the redio west site with postings much so thought it was overdue. Hope everyone is having a nice summer. Sure was hot in July and August for most of the time. Had a nice get-together at the beginning of July in Maple Fridge with Dan, RadioFan, George from Akron, Ohio etc.... Anyway our family listened to CJOR religiously. Really enjoyed Pat Burns and the other talk show hosts as well. A neighbor of ours "Peggy Ashby" used to listen to Pat Burns and the other talk show hosts a lot too. She was also a regular CFAY listener but we were on mainly at night or weekends so there were many hours CFAY was not on-air during the week.. Some of the CFAY staff spent many a time in Peggy's kitchen eating cookies or apple pie, she was a great cook, especially the pastries! I remember Pat Burns on in the background while we munched down those cookies or pie. Her son Bill is a friend of mine to this day (he lives up in the Williams Lake area, yes the smoke is something else up there this summer, he had to cancel a fishing trip this month!} Bill was one of the original CFAY djs back in 1967 along with Woodcarver (Fred). Its great seeing all the CJOR info and pictures!!! Brought back a lot of good memories! Thanks Jack and Woodcarver for posting all this. Peggy died in June 1988 but she was an avid radio listener to CJOR, CFAY and CJJC. Certainly much more of a radiio listener than tv viewer! Even thought I liked rock-top 40 and obscure rock hits back then I did listen to CJOR a fair amount myself particularly Pat Burns. RadioFan might remember listening to Pat Burns in Peggy's Kitchen and some of her own commentary about various topics and callers to CJOR! It was kind of interesting and humorous to say the least! Woodcarver I stiill have to touch base with yuu in person, we will have to do that in the near future. I just finished finding a friend of mine who went out with Peggy's daughter Carol in the mid-70s , he had been living in Langley Township all the time but it took me over 10 years to find him. Great guy and radio/music listener as well. We could have seen each other a l00 times in Langley since 1991 but would not have recognized each other, last time I as him had been l978 or so. Great finding him and recalling music/radio memories etc.. He's still a record collector after all these years and I was just showing him one of my Vancouver binders with lots of CJOR photos etc. and he remembered the talk show hosts etc. since he heard them at Peggy's as well! He told me Peggy was like a second mother to him and wishes she was still around today! Anyway good going on the CJOR nostalgia, I'll be showing him some of this radio west info. this weekend. Take care! Eldon......Mr.CFAY
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Radio Station History