Three Letter Call Letters

A look back at various radio stations

Three Letter Call Letters

Postby jon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:14 am

We have racked our brains, but cannot think of any other Canadian stations with only three call letters besides CKY, CKX Brandon and those owned by the CBC.

I think we may have posed the question previously, but Today in History this morning brings it up again: have there ever been any other 3 letter call letters used by Canadian radio or TV stations?

When I wrote the above 3 years ago, I did miss one: CHU, the shortwave time signal run by the National Research Council from Ottawa.

Anyone remember any others that may have existed in the past and/or exist in the present?
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Three Letter Call Letters

Postby YesterDaze » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:24 am

How soon we forget CKO, the country's first all-news stations.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:37 pm

Winnipeg's CKY ... originally went on-air somewhere around 1926 owned by Manitoba Telephone Service.....then sold into private hands.

Great signal with 50,000 watts clear channel omni-diectional pattern (daytime anyway ... unsure about night) on 580 Khz in an area with some of the best ground conductivity in North America ... what a huge footprint it had.

It was a very good station ... especially during the lengthy period starting in the mi-80's when Ron Able was doing the morning show ...
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 pm

As mentioned in Today in History this morning, the original CKY became CBW. A few years later, Lloyd Moffat started his own station and called it CKY. No relationship between the two stations other than the recycled call letters.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Station History