Order of BC for Jim Robson

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Order of BC for Jim Robson

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 am

Picture of Jim above - much earlier in his career at CKNW

•Jim Robson, whose 47-year sports broadcasting career earned him a reputation as the "voice of hockey" in B.C.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Order of BC for Jim Robson

Postby Paul P » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:53 am

What would Warren say if you came to him with this as a story?
Has he been awarded it, will he get it down the road, is this a retro piece because you're using an old picture so does he already have it?
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Warren would say not to insult the intelligence of the audience.

"The government of British Columbia announced Friday that hockey broadcaster Jim Robson would be awarded
the Order of BC at a later date."

If you are looking for a news room account of the story that I found buried in a
a Gordon Campbell article - you ain't goin git it. I ain't paid enuff.

So Paul - who are you anyway? :partyguy:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:43 pm

I wouldn't want to insult your intelligence, or blow your mind.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:12 am

Former premier Gordon Campbell is among 14 people soon to be awarded the honour of the Order of British Columbia.

The office of B.C. Lieutenant-Governor Steven Point announced the 2011 recipients Friday, noting that Campbell would be receiving the award due to his standing as a “visionary, leader and proud British Columbian.”

Campbell left office earlier this year amid controversy over his government's handling of the harmonized sales tax.

Also being honoured are Child Find B.C. president Crystal Dunahee, whose son vanished in 1991, and sports announcer and analyst Jim Robson, who was described as, “the voice of hockey in B.C.”

October 4 is the day of the actual award in Victoria.

report from CBC
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Found the actual release from the government and was amazed to see WHY Campbell and Dobell are being named to the order...

Gordon M. Campbell of Vancouver - visionary, leader, proud British Columbian

Ken Dobell of Vancouver - dedicated public servant

This is patronage to the highest degree, especially when you consider the contributions of the other recipients. Yes, even David Emerson, who had a very successful business career before being tainted by politics. Don't think he was ever arrested for drunk driving either.

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2011/09/2 ... umbia.html
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:32 pm

I'll stay away from the political side of the awards. I am delighted to hear Jim Robson is going to receive the Order of B.C.
Jim was the greatest. I am somewhat delighted also to hear that Al Davidson has been elected to the B.C. Football Hall of Fame. It's sad that Al left us so many years ago and only now is recognized for his amazing work. Dammit, Al died 20 years ago.....why did it take so long? I was on the radio in the 70's when Tiger Al pulled me apart on air on day when I won a Canadian Sports Broadcasting award. He ranted for almost ten minutes, and yet the next spring/summer, as we did our station's fishing reports, we tied up our boats together and had a few laughs. Tiger Al was show business in sports, and I always respected that. I attended his funeral in North Vancouver in 1991 and shed a few tears in his memory. I am very happy that Al Davidson finally, has been given the honour he so rightly deserved!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:37 pm

John...He didn't ask to borrow 5 gallons of gas did he??!
:dontknow: ;-)
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Steve...are you thinking of that famous story about his neighbour and Big Al cutting his lawn at 3am are you?
I don't mean to demean Jim Robson's award...maybe I should start a new thread about the legend of Big Al Davidson.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:55 pm

johnsykes wrote:Steve...are you thinking of that famous story about his neighbour and Big Al cutting his lawn at 3am are you?
I don't mean to demean Jim Robson's award...maybe I should start a new thread about the legend of Big Al Davidson.

No...1985 aquittal on arson charges.
;-)
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History