Radio guys inducted into BC Football Hall of Fame

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Radio guys inducted into BC Football Hall of Fame

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:48 pm

SHORT HOPS: The irony behind longtime sports columnist Jim Taylor being named Friday to the media category along with the late Al Davidson to the new BC Football Hall of Fame is the fact Taylor has been trying for years as a member of the selection committee to have Davidson inducted into the BC Sports Hall of Fame. 'Big Al' Davidson will remain a loving legend in the radio industry forever from his tumultuous years as sports director at CKNW.

Dr. Sport Greg Douglas
Vancouver Sun

Thanks to Brian Walks for second picture. I remember talking to Frosty and others who wanted Al in this hall of fame and nice to see it finally. A living legend no more. Miss ya Al.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Radio guys inducted into BC Football Hall of Fame

Postby cart_machine » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Al's boat wasn't seen near that fire in Oliver, was it?

Good for the Football Hall. Al should have been put in the BC Sports Hall of Fame eons ago, back when people in broadcasting still knew who he was.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 am

Big Al was something else.

Glad to see that this larger than life presence will be remembered.

Radio had characters and believe me, Big Al was one of them.

That era is dead - and for that matter - listening to the current offerings in this burg, I would hazard a guess that a lot of folks have bypassed this once powerful medium - and have Ipod's or whatever.

Although I am proud to say I was a Broadcaster, I am not sure I would want to be starting out now.

C'est la vie - nothing stays the same - and one more thing - enjoy what you are doing - because it goes by very quickly.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:22 pm

I know it was not what you were trying to say, but ipods aren't much help for sports fans, unless they want to listen to the Canada-Russia hockey series from the 1970s, which I can't see because the screen is pretty small to watch.

Radio is still an important medium for live sports, even as we approach the 60th anniversary of live sports on television in Canada. If you don't believe me, just look at the money that changes hands for Play by Play broadcast rights on Radio for professional Hockey, Football and such. Having the rights can mean the difference between making or breaking an All Sports station.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Mr. Bee - Cal C. from your neighbourhood says hello - grand fo-bah at the Lodge.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:45 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:Mr. Bee - Cal C. from your neighbourhood says hello - grand fo-bah at the Lodge.

You should look into this new fangled thing call electronic mail and give it a try.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:06 pm

aCartfull - I need your e-mail - I am behind the times according to other Paul P. :boxer:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:45 pm

I've got to get a list of those who are in the Hall. Leaving Big Al out until now had to be an absolute blunder and then some.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:19 pm

johnsykes wrote:I've got to get a list of those who are in the Hall. Leaving Big Al out until now had to be an absolute blunder and then some.

For John and others interested, this was the first year for the BC Football Hall of Fame. Here's the link to the complete list

http://bcfootballhalloffame.com/inductees.html

As for the BC Sports Hall of Fame...

http://www.bcsportshalloffame.com/inductees/inductees/
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History