Dave Abbott passes at St. Paul's

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Dave Abbott passes at St. Paul's

Postby hagopian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:09 pm

Vancouver broadcast pioneer Dave Abbott died on Sunday (December 18) at St. Paul’s Hospital. He was 74 years old.

Abbott was born in Dublin, Ireland, and moved to Canada in 1960. By 1964, he began work in radio and developed audiences for CJOR, CKNW, and CJVI (in Victoria). He also worked for RTE (Ireland), SABC (South Africa), BBC (U.K.), and CBC (1965 to 1985).

He covered a wide range stories, including the Six Day War in Israel and the Philippine Revolution, as well as stories in China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, South Africa, and Northern Ireland. His interviewees included U.K. Baroness Margaret Thatcher, Philippine president Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos, Hong Kong’s Li Ka-shing, Mitzi Gaynor, and Bob Hope.

In recognition of his community service, he won the Salvation Army Community Award three times (1972, 1987, and 1993) and the Neighbourhood Community Award in 1986.
(* From the Georgia Strait)

RIP, and condolences to his Wife and Children and Grandkids and his legion of fans and friends.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Re: Dave Abbott passes at St. Paul's

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Sad news indeed.
Dave was one of the first people I interviewed for the "Radiographies" series and we had a great time afterwards when he brought out a bottle of great Irish Whiskey.
Even though he couldn't drink anymore, he poured me a generous glass and we looked though his many pictures and awards.
A gentleman has left us and I add my condolences to his wife and family, his many friends and fans and colleagues with whom he worked over the years.
RIP, Dave.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Little behind on this one as I was working today. Dave and I were pretty close having worked
at OR with him in the seventies and keep fairly close during the last ten or so years.

Mike mentioned the itaping and I have to admit we took a bit out of the interview to make
it acceptable to the host. Dave had some strong opinions about people he had worked with over the
years.

We shall all miss his Happy Irish Dave at each meeting. Thanks for the memories.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:39 pm

It shakes you when you lose an old colleague and mentor. It's only a few weeks since Dave and I last spoke at Red's most recent lunch at the White Spot. My condolences to the family, and especially to my old newsroom colleague and good friend from our CJOR days, Dave's daughter Ingrid.

Is there any word yet on services?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:34 pm

Another of my favourite guys from my happy days at CJOR. And only a year older than I. May I offer my humble condolences to Dave's wife and family.
A tear is shed, but may you be in a better place than I.

John S.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:58 pm

I don't want to get into why....but I tried to check on Ed Murphy in the B.C. Radio history biographies....unless I'm blind, I couldn't find his name....so I'm not sure if Ed is still with us. He would be the last of those Talk Show hosts who were part of the cast who knocked NW off the top rung, at least for one rating period. I'm proud to say I was there....but only to have known those greats of their time. Dave Abbott, of course, was one of those legends.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:56 pm

From VancouverBroadcasters.com:
Ed Murphy - CFRB Toronto; talk show host Reaction Line CKWX Vancouver; talk show host The Investigators CKNW early 1972; talk show host Reaction Line CJOR Vancouver 1973-78; longtime owner Murphy's Pub Vancouver. Died in North Vancouver April 26, 2008 at age 79
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:43 pm

Sad, really sad. I guess when we get to the age called the golden years, and hear of those who have passed away you once worked with and admired on the job as I did, it hits hard, regardless if this is Christmas week.

As much as I have a job to do at home, caring for my ailing wife, those who may attend Dave's service as well as his family, will be on my mind.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Victoriaradio » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:03 pm

I knew Dave Abbott when he ruled open talk radio in Victoria. We used to met with various media and political types at the Red Lion Hotel, near what is now Uptown. In the Victoria market no person came close to his style, pacing, knowledge, timing and general Irish lilt. A gentleman to be honoured!
Victoriaradio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:03 pm

"I don't want to get into why....but I tried to check on Ed Murphy in the B.C. Radio history biographies....unless I'm blind, I couldn't find his name....so I'm not sure if Ed is still with us. " - Sykes

No John you are not blind and thanks to jon for the item from Vancouver Broadcasters.There is very little info on
Ed Murphy before he came to Vancouver or after he left CJOR. Couple of pictures but few articles that I found.
Most of my Biographies are filled with newspaper reports on people. He was a great broadcaster but did not leave much of a mark.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I must apologize to Jim Nielsen......Jim was also a major part of that wonderful talk show crew that took over number one.
and, thankfully, as far as I can tell, Jim is still with us.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History