Greg Haraldson passes/obituary

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Greg Haraldson passes/obituary

Postby radiofan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 pm

The new year isn't even a week old and already I've got some sad news to pass along. Longtime Calgary radio guy Greg Haraldson passed away on Friday January 4th.

Greg's first taste of radio was in 1970 at CKXL where he did the all night show while he was supposed to be working for the city. As long as he played a few requests for the rest of his crew, they'd drop
him off at the station on 17th Avenue just before midnight and then pick him up in the morning after his air shift! Greg's only time away from Calgary was in the late 1970's when he was PD at Vancouver's
CKLG. He returned to Calgary and was PD at CKXL until he made the move to the PD chair at CHQR in 1984. In early 1985, Greg convinced Calgary's #1 morning man Norm Edwards to make the move to QR.
Greg left QR in 1988 and soon landed in the PD office at Country 105 where he and the station won numerous awards.

Greg would have celebrated his 63rd birthday next week.

A hell of a programmer, no matter what format he was working. And a hell of a great friend. My condolences to Greg's family and friends, especially his daughters Jodie and Melanie and ex-wife Marilyn.

R.I.P. Howie
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Greg Haraldson passes

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 am

Sad news indeed.
I worked with him during my short 9 month stay at 'XL in 1971-72.
As Hagopian mentioned in another thread, it sucks getting older and hearing about your former co-workers and friends in the business leaving too soon.
So many of the great people I worked with have left us.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 am

Greetings,
Yes that is sad, I was very sorry to hear of Greg Haraldson leaving us! From what I remember of his broadcasting at QR in the 80s he was indeed at RadioFan said a Great Programmer no matter what format! Yes Mike it is indeed sad to hear of broadcasters passing away far too soon! To his family I offer my sincere condolences also. Take care everyone and all the best of health to you in 2013!!! From Eldon and Ann
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 am

I'm saddened to read this.

I remember listening to Greg weekday afternoons from 1 'til 3 on 'XL and as host of The Weekly Music Magazine on Saturday Mornings (Sunday nights on 630 CHED and LG73).

Country 105 became a beast under his tutelage. Just as he had done at 'XL when it dominated the ratings in the early '80s, 105 did the same in the '90s.

'XL was never the same after he left and Norm Edwards' decision to join Greg at 'QR just sped up their former station's demise. It was probably the best thing 66CFR and AM106 could have hoped for.

I commented a few years ago about being startled while listening to Classic Country AM 1060, during its early days, by Greg hosting a weekend show. At the time of that post I remarked that I never would have foreseen the eventuality given his work at 'XL. But he sounded good on 1060.

RIP Mr. Haraldson
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:09 pm

I am VERY sorry to read this news. I knew Greg only by reputation.

63? My gosh.

My condolences to his Family and all the wonderful radio people that worked with him.

Robert Plant sort of echoed what I mentioned the other day, as he was being interviewed by Charlie Rose, regarding the Kennedy Centre Honours for Zep.

Said Mr. Plant “as you get older time just gallops by”.

Make every day count.

Thanks for all the great radio, Greg!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Very sad news in the first week of '13. In today's world 63 is very youg to pass away.Greg certainly left a huge imprint on Calgary radio back in the day.I wasn't aware if he was ill but this is still a shock.R.I.P. Greg.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Re: Greg Haraldson Obituary

Postby radiofan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 pm

HARALDSON, Greg
January 18, 1950 - January 4, 2013

Greg Haraldson of Calgary passed away peacefully on Friday, January 4, 2013, just two weeks before his 63rd birthday. He will be lovingly remembered and greatly missed by his daughters Melanie and Jodie, his mother Helen, his sisters Ingrid and Cheryl and his brother Tim. Greg was a thoughtful, passionate and sensitive soul who touched the hearts of all who knew him. May his soul forever rest in peace. Memorial Service will be held at St. Luke's Catholic Church (corner of Northmount Drive and Northland Drive N.W.) on Friday, January 11, 2013 at 1:30 p.m. Photos, memories and condolences may be shared with Greg's family through www.evanjstrong.com. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to be made to Momentum (16 - 2936 Radcliffe Drive S.E., Calgary, Alberta T2A 6M8, www.momentum.org). Arrangements in care of EVAN J. STRONG FUNERAL SERVICES. Telephone: 403-265-1199.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/calgar ... bLoggedOut
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Greg Haraldson passes/obituary

Postby PMC » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

I am shocked by this news...He was a good guy.

My condolences to Greg's family.
PMC

Re: Greg Haraldson passes/obituary

Postby hagopian » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 am

I was thinking about Gord Robson, too.

Sad to think we are losing these great people, and they are so young.

Just upsetting as heck.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History