George Wilson dies

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

George Wilson dies

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am

George Wilson - who worked at CJOR and CBC has died in the Central Interior

The obit is in the Sun I believe and was sent to me

George and I signed our life away to re-start the Vancouver Media Club with the newly registered (at the time)
Vancouver Radio and Television Artists Association. We hired Jeff and Mary Snowball to run the club which they
did for over a decade before people lost interest and something else happened.

That was a long time ago - a distant memory
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: George Wilson dies

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 am

George Herbertson Wilson June 1, 1927 - January 26, 2013 Born June 1st, 1927, on the farm near Harris, Saskatchewan, he lost his battle with cancer on Saturday, January 26th, 2013, in 100 Mile House, BC.

George is survived by Kathleen, his loving wife of 61 years; older sister Lois; children Kelley, Megan (Robert), Laurel (Matt), Sheilagh (Serge), John (Donna), and Jim; and grandchildren Krista and Kasey, Brett, Jase and Galen, Michal and Maia, Josh, Charlie, Christopher, Christian and Jack, Georden and Jessalynn.

He made his career in radio and television then spent his retirement years as a member of the local Volunteer Fire Department.

A memorial service will be held Monday, February 4th 2013 at 11 am at 100 Mile United Church on Dogwood Avenue.

Heartfelt appreciation and thanks to the hospice care staff at Mill Site Lodge. No flowers by request. Donations may be made to Watch Lake North Green Lake Volunteer Fire Department, 5771 North Green Lake Road, 70 Mile House, BC V0K 2K1.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 am

George lived across the street from my grandparents in Coquitlam in the 1960s. My late grandmother, whose birthday is today, always told me that George was the "Life of the Party".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Oh damn... Not the kind of news I wanted to hear. Another one of the good guys gone.
I really liked and respected George a lot.. both as a friend and as a colleague on the Vancouver radio news beat.

Jack Bennest wrote:George and I signed our life away to re-start the Vancouver Media Club with the newly registered (at the time)
Vancouver Radio and Television Artists Association. We hired Jeff and Mary Snowball to run the club which they
did for over a decade before people lost interest and something else happened.
That was a long time ago - a distant memory

Count me in as another of that same group of signees... and after all of that hard work that the bunch of us -- George included -- had put into making that place look respectable, we've long since lost our "Media Club" to the Vancouver night scene... Still a big sore point with me all these years later...

Godspeed, George... Rest in Peace, my friend...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 am

jon wrote:My late grandmother, whose birthday is today
??? :occasion4:

Maybe George will cut the cake for her
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 am

Jack Bennest wrote:
jon wrote:My late grandmother, whose birthday is today
??? :occasion4:

Maybe George will cut the cake for her

Nice thought, Jack. Thanks for that.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:47 pm

I remember George from my CJOR days...always a smile on his face. Rest in peace, George.

John Sykes
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History