In conversation with Bob Nicholson

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

In conversation with Bob Nicholson

Postby radiofan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 pm

In conversation with... Bob Nicholson

FRIDAY, 25 OCTOBER 2013 02:00
PENTICTON HERALD STAFF

Bob Nicholson of Penticton holds a photo taken at a Calgary bus stop in 1988 with a large poster advertising the CBC News in Calgary.

Bob Nicholson is a retired broadcaster whose career included being an anchor at CBUT, the CBC station in Calgary.
He retired to Penticton four years ago and is an active volunteer with the Okanagan-Coquihalla Liberal Riding Association, Meals on Wheels, Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Alliance and Peach City Radio. He's also an usher at Penticton Vees games and MCs at numerous fundraising events.

A graduate of State University of New York (MA, 1970) in his hometown of Buffalo, Nicholson and his wife Peggy have two daughters and one grandchild, with another on the way in February.
He recently spoke with Herald editor James Miller about the media, among other topics.

PENTICTON HERALD: Were you always interested in broadcasting?

BOB NICHOLSON: I never thought of it until I was 32. I picked up a broadcast executive in the cab I was driving back in 1976 (while looking for a real job) in Vancouver. A month later, I was the evening disc jockey in Terrace.

HERALD: Did you talk a lot as a little kid?

NICHOLSON: Non-stop. Still do.

HERALD: As someone who grew up in Buffalo, how torturous were the 1990-93 Super Bowls for you?

NICHOLSON: I lost faith in the Bills during the many lost decades before O.J. (Simpson) and before all those horrid Super Bowl defeats. But I was at the first Bills game back in 1964 when their star running back was Elbert (Golden Wheels) Dubenion.

HERALD: What was the most significant news story you covered?

NICHOLSON: I think it was in '78, when there was a huge flood in Terrace. Highway 16 washed out, the main gas pipeline broke and a lot of the town was underwater. And CFTK, the only station in town, was the only source of information.

HERALD: What was the most significant international story in your lifetime?

NICHOLSON: 9/11. I still remember being in the newsroom when the second plane hit.

HERALD: Who was the most famous person you interviewed?

NICHOLSON: I'd say Ralph Klein. I interviewed him many times, always trying to get the better of him and never managed to do it. He was much smarter than people gave him credit for. But he was also a bit of a bully and he loved to take shots at the CBC.

HERALD: Who in today's media do you admire?

NICHOLSON: Peter Mansbridge. He's not pretty, but he has a great talent in covering live events. I've watched him be fluent and in command on the air hour after hour at political conventions, royal visits, elections. Not everyone can do that.

HERALD: Name three vinyl LPs you'd take to a desert island.

NICHOLSON: The Band, Music From Big Pink; Muddy Mississippi Waters Live; and Bob Dylan Blonde on Blonde. And I'd be regretting not having Joni Mitchell Blue and the Stones' Sticky Fingers.

HERALD: If you were grading the present city council, what would you give them collectively based on what you've seen over the past two years?

NICHOLSON: C-minus. The hockey dorm scandal stands out as does the lack of real action on downtown. The hospital issue seems to be sinking beneath the waves. Also, the lakefront walkway repaving is expensive and early reviews suggest it's not making the beach better. I think they should push hard for a restart on the national park idea. Being a gateway city works pretty well for Canmore.

HERALD: What, in order, are your three favourite things about Penticton?

NICHOLSON: The farmers market, the St. Germaine Coffee Shop and The Dream Cafe. And the beach by the marina.

HERALD: As someone who is active with the federal Liberals, would it not be better to merge with the NDP in order to avoid dividing the left and centre?

NICHOLSON: No, the NDP federally and provincially is having a slow-moving identity crisis. Are they latte-sipping environmentalists who oppose all resource extraction projects? Or are they the party of the workers who need the jobs those projects create? The Liberal party is not conflicted about this. We do favour responsible, regulated resource development. The Orange Wave that washed in during the last election in Quebec is about to wash right back out again

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/front-pag ... olson.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History