2016: A Bad Year for Obituaries

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

2016: A Bad Year for Obituaries

Postby jon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:11 pm

There have been a lot of comments, here and elsewhere, about the large number of deaths in 2016. Looking back, whose death impacted you the most?

For me, being here in Edmonton, it would be Patrick Cardinal. This was a man that lived and breathed Radio with an intensity and record of success rarely seen.

When Patrick arrived here, he took over what was known in some circles as a "cursed frequency": 96.3 MHz. And he made it work, though it has never been completely clear to me how much input he had into the original choice of format or even the branding.

Next, he accepted the challenge of being part of a three-way dogfight in the Top 40/CHR market, a format that, only a few years prior, no station was carrying in Edmonton for a brief period of time.

In both cases, the Ratings demonstrate Patrick's genius, #1 in CHR and near the top overall with Capital-FM. The latest ratings clearly demonstrate that it would not have happened without him.

On a more personal note, I was impressed with his deep respect for "those who came before him": older and retired broadcasters.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History