Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:58 am

what was the year

what was the top hit that week?

if you magnifying glass doesnt work - I can blow it

ps the clue is in the last sentence
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:14 pm

ahhh Mr Top Dog ... the clue wasn't in the last sentence...I have no idea what Al's kids birthdays are ... By the songs mentioned, I figured spring of '65... the Twin Pick hits kind of narrowed down my search as I started going thru the stack of CFUN charts ...

April 17, 1965 ... Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter was #1

The prize for winning this one had better be something better than some of John Sykes' old media passes for soccer or football...
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:20 pm

The year was 1965, probably May. Based on Mr. Jordan's commentary, I would guess that "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" was #1 that week. It was #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 for three weeks, beginning May 1, 1965.

I had forgotten that Chubby Checker ever did a song about "The Freddie". It peaked at #40 on Billboard's Hot 100. Freddie and the Dreamers had the version ("Do the Freddie") that I remember, even though it peaked at only #18 on Billboard.

But the real trivial pursuits question that goes with the Freddie and the Dreamers version is: "Name one of the two legitimate Top 40 hits heard on Lan Roberts' Garbage Record Festival (Oct. 31, 1969) on KOL Seattle." The other, by the way, was "I Love Onions" by Susan Christie from 1966.

If you want to see if my memory is correct, you can hear it for yourself at http://www.reelradio.com/jp/index.html#lrkol69-1

I see that Radiofan posted his answer between the time I started typing this and the time I finished. Let's see how close I was.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:49 pm

I guessed the #1 based on years of reading the comments that accompanied the C-FUNtastic 50 each week the Vancouver Province. The #1 song was usually mentioned in the first sentence or two. What I was a little fuzzy on, and which Radiofan answers, was whether C-FUN still did the Vancouver Province chart after they started printing their own.

I gave them away in the early '70s, but I once had a complete collection, save one week when our family was away on vacation, from Feb. 9, 1962 until the Province stopped publishing them.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:58 pm

The earliest printed C-FUNTASTIC 50 [as above] was the top 50 of 1964, so from December 1964 until September 16, 1967 the charts were both available in The Province and printed for mass distribution.

If the top 50 of 1964 was the first printed C-FUN chart since the old 8 1/2 x 11 sheets from 1960 - 61, it is somewhat ironic that it appeared within a week of CKLG's first mass distributed SILVER DOLLAR SURVEY which was dated December 20, 1964. CKLG's first SILVER DOLLAR SURVEYS were published in The Vancouver Times.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:26 pm

God - its hard to get a word in edge wise

Prizes - One mamaburger for ted
and one side of chips for pearkins when and if he ever shows up
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History