The Q's Rick Everett (Baverstock) passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

The Q's Rick Everett (Baverstock) passes

Postby jon » Thu May 31, 2018 8:12 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:

Rick Everett Baverstock, 52, on May 24. Born in Beausejour, MB, Baverstock’s interest in rock music started at a young age. He began playing music and DJ’ing on the family C.B. Radio, which prompted a few visits from government officials. He went on to pursue Broadcasting: Radio and TV Arts at Confederation College in Thunder Bay, working at CKPR-AM under the name of Rick Everett (The Doctor of Rock). From there, he worked as an on-air personality at CKX-AM Brandon, CHAB-AM Moose Jaw, CITI-FM Winnipeg, 100.3 The Q (CKKQ-FM) Victoria (where he was also PD), 92.9 KICK-FM (CKIC-FM) Winnipeg, and FAB 94.3 (CHIQ-FM) Winnipeg. In 2012, he became the senior producer and music director at NCI-FM (Native Communications Inc.) and Now Country FM (CIUR-FM).
jon
Advanced Member

Re: The Q's Rick Everett (Baverstock) passes

Postby jon » Thu May 31, 2018 8:20 am

Around the turn of the century, I worked with Rick on his audio documentary of Wolfman Jack. I didn't do much, but Rick honoured me with a voiced credit at the end of his documentary.

He barely got started selling it when Lou Lamb, Wolfman's widow, laid claim to everything Wolfman ever said, so Rick put it aside and I don't believe it ever saw the light of day again. Rick had obtained tapes from a Wolfman producer who was working the fishing boats of Vancouver Island. Some gave valuable insight into Robert Weston Smith the businessman.

I was shocked to read of Rick's death this morning.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu May 31, 2018 12:34 pm

This is very sad news.

I really enjoyed his afternoon show on 100.3 the Q! Victoria. :salute:
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Thu May 31, 2018 5:51 pm

This was a devastating piece of news. Rick wasn’t just an incredible radio guy, he was a devoted loving father of two youngins...his son a spitting image. Rick was really active on social media, with almost daily quips and clever one liners. More recently, his focus was always on his kids.

During his period at the Q!, he went from being that special treat evening host, to one of the best afternoon drive personalities in Victoria’s history, and maybe even in BC. He was creative, clever, and so incredibly efficient with words, yet never robotic. There was a warmth to Rick. He made simple business, special. There was a period of time at the old OK Radio Group where magic happened everyday. Garner Andrews was the driving creative force, while Ed Bain was the focal point. To then have Rick in the afternoons made that station so unique in the mid 90’s.

They say genius is sometimes tempered by insanity. It always seemed strange to me that a remarkble talent like Rick wouldn’t end up being on a big station, even in his beloved Winnipeg. Perhaps he didn’t believe in himself...perhaps there was unimaginable darkness. We’ll never know.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History