REELRADIO is on-line today only

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

REELRADIO is on-line today only

Postby jon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:43 pm

Original Subject: REELRADIO's Richard Irwin is Dead

From All Access:

Condolences to the family and friends of RICHARD IRWIN, best remembered as the founder of the online aircheck museum REELRADIO -- but also a former PD/On-Air at KAFY/BAKERSFIELD and KROY/SACRAMENTO. IRWIN passed away WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6th in SACRAMENTO. He was 67.

iHEARTMEDIA News-Talk KFBK-A-F/SACRAMENTO News Dir. MIKE HAGERTY shared, "RICHARD had shut REELRADIO down at the end of APRIL, anticipating a surgery and rehab he hoped would restore his ability to walk and reduce or eliminate the near-constant pain he’d endured since an accident in his home two years ago. But a series of healthcare snafus kept the surgery from ever happening. No word on services."
jon
Advanced Member

Re: REELRADIO's Richard Irwin is Dead

Postby drmusic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:04 pm

My condolences. He was passionate about preserving the history of classic Top 40 radio. His site, and the WABC tribute page, were my introduction to the world of online airchecks some two decades ago.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Re: REELRADIO's Richard Irwin is Dead

Postby jon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:15 pm

It has just been announced that REELRADIO's previous System Administrator, who set things up in the days when the site used its own hardware, is back and already working on getting REELRADIO back up and running.

When money was tight, I showed Uncle Ricky where he could save a fortune on housing the hardware in a Data Centre, by using a "virtual server" (VPS) at, what was then, one of the pioneering companies in that business.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: REELRADIO is on-line today only

Postby jon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 am

reelradio.com is up and running for the day today. Mainly, I suspect, to let the previous System Administrator check things out under real-world conditions, as part of getting everything ready to run live 24/7.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History