Who Is This?

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Postby tuned » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:45 am

There was a remote "van" before the mini crystal palace.....a Dodge Fargo with limited capabilities was still in service in 1974. It was tough for Phil Roberts to jam his massive frame into the thing. Many of the remotes took place at a shady joint called Better Value Furniture. One of the announcers was looking for a new couch the night before a remote and I naively told him to wait until Saturday for "the big sale". Amazingly the couch cost more the day of the remote.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:52 am

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 am

Guess it was a chevy...lol. I don't think it had turntables just a couple of tape machines and a mixer.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:36 am

The Chevy that Top Dog psoted above was from the 60's. I remember seeing it at the PNE several times.

Here's the CJJC "Boogie Van" from the mid 70's [before the caboose]

The guy who hauled the "Caboose" was Buzz Lundgre from Maple Ridge
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Rob Collins » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:50 pm

That CJJC caboose Dave built was one of the best Remote set-ups ever.

Buzz Lundgren was one of the engineers working under Dave and also remote-guy set-up who hauled that 16,000lbs around for several years. He also played in a country band locally every weekend someplace on Scott Road in Surrey.

The STL unit inside the Caboose had a bad frequency and often Master Control would receive calls from the Seattle Fire Department who shared the same frequency. All of the radio's on the trucks and fire stations would pick-up the broadcasts instead of hearing messages from the Hall.

One day I will post a story here while doing a remote at Ace Carpets in Coquitlam.

It involves the lack of an on-air red lite inside the Caboose.

Buzz was a wonderful man. Always laughing and smiling at life and never once complained about the 3/4 ton truck with the 6-cylinder engine that hauled it around. In fact, one day after being loaded on the Albion Ferry from a remote at a car dealer in Maple Ridge, the truck would not start.

Caboose and truck made several trips back & forth across the Fraser waiting for a tow-truck heavy enough to haul it off the ferry. Made lot's of new friends that day.
When it comes to horsepower, too much is just enough.
Objects in mirror were not fast enough....
Rob Collins
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:04 pm

I'd almost forgotten about Ace Carpets. "This is Ron Bezo and Ace Is The Place..The Greatest Rug Store On Earth..1-2-3 Schoolhouse Street in Coquitlam."

I'd almost forgotten about that place...looking forward to your story Rob.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:39 pm

radiofan wrote:Here's one from the cover of the magazine cArtie was referring to.

I'm sure Rob Collins has many fond memories of this! Dave Glasstetter designed it and put it all together [kind of a mini "Crystal Palce"].

The old CJJC Caboose now resides in the parking lot of CFCP JET FM, formerly Magic 98 in Courtenay [it was there 2 years ago, maybe PMC can confirm].

For a side of A&W Onion Rings, what's the name of the guy who hauled this thing around??

Say what ??? I passed by the parking lot yesterday and something like it, is there.

The only place the thing would get hauled to now is a scrap yard.
PMC

Postby tuned » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Dodman usually went and did cut-ins at some car dealer or furniture place out in Langley. Yeah I remember Buzz Lundgren hauling the remote unit around. There was jock named Rob Carlyle there at the time and also some guy named Carl? Kenny Benson and Steve Simpson in production. Fun times.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:10 pm

Hey tuned....I was at CJJC in 1976...March until the October killing off by the turkey from Edmonton....I worked with Ken Benson, Dodman, Mauri Hesketh and a great bunch. Were you there then? you wouldn't be Rob HE SCOOOOOOORRRRREEEES Glazier by any chance would you? just kidding. Rob should be charged for a pair of hearing aids for me......geez he was loud.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:02 pm

I was there in 1974/75 and no I'm not Robb Glazier, although I did work with him on the Bruins games. I do remember seeing you around the halls in the basement of the Grosvenor though.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:19 am

Ogopogo wrote: In 78-79 a young fellar worked there - could it be TW?

Young Mr. TW was there before that. I've enjoyed the CJJC responses I've read so far and gather Buzz Lundgren is the answer to the question. I can't recall him off-hand but the name does ring a bell.

When I was there, there was a Ted something :) working weekends, along with Bob Dawson, Bill Strafford and Rob Collins.

Daytime was Bob Nunn, Norm Mazuren, Mike Dodson and Gerry Norris. Norm left to go to CHWK and Bob Dawson was moved to mid-days. Bob's sister was in copy.

Bob Sargent and .. forgotten his first name .. Johnston were in the newsroom, which was the last place I know that hadn't converted to a modern Extel teletype. Robb Glazier did the Bruins games.

Milt York was in production and Frank Storey was doing sales and in that sort-of helicopter doing some on-air stuff. And Mr. JC was still in charge, though I gather he had sold, or was about to sell, part of the station to the guy the people I knew on the Island called Mr. Mykyte Mouse.

The Chevy van pictured used to make appearances at the Abbotsford Air Show.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:59 am

Johnston was Don Johnston who worked briefly at NW prior to his stint at CJJC. He came to NW from Alberta ... drove an old green Ford of some kind that had yellow plates on it.

In addition to working a news shift at JC, he alsop worked full time at a Gulf station in downtown White Rock.

Also in the CJJC newsroom at the time was another NW oldtimer .. Bill Fox [aka Barometer Bill].
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:48 am

radiofan wrote: Johnston was Don Johnston who worked briefly at NW prior to his stint at CJJC. He came to NW from Alberta ... drove an old green Ford of some kind that had yellow plates on it.

In addition to working a news shift at JC, he alsop worked full time at a Gulf station in downtown White Rock.

Also in the CJJC newsroom at the time was another NW oldtimer .. Bill Fox [aka Barometer Bill].

Bill was gone by the time I arrived; I had presumed he was part of the pre-Christmas massacre in 1976. Mr. Sykes likely knows.

Bill ended up at CKO in Vancouver.

The news department was Bob and Don (who worked weekend mornings and three days a week) and me (part-time). Bob was pretty damned discouraged and kept telling me he should quit the business. And, of course, he did.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio People History