Where is this guy now?

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:40 am

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:07 pm

Currently, Keith is doing station imaging, commercial voice-overs,
narrations, producing and writing a few things, a jingle here and there,
home reno's and, most recently, restoring a 1957 Ford Thunderbird
(coming soon to web site near you)... stay tuned.

Taken from his WEB site....
http://www.soundspark.com/

8-)
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:52 pm

I remember this guy when I worked at that place across from the chicken ranch on 17th Ave. S.W. :)

CFAC for those of you that don't know about the KFC across the street.

Between him and Dieter, there was plenty of slick stuff that amazed many.

Since we know where Keith is at, where is Dieter these days ?
PMC

Postby jon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:04 pm

You make Keith James seem Super Human. Doing the work of two men.

Well, there are two: father and son. SoundSpark.com is KJ = Keith James Jr. I first heard him when he did News for Chuck Chandler on CFRN as Oldies 1260 near the beginning of this century. Since then, I've understood that Keith Sr. works for Vista, doing station management.

I haven't put in the effort to properly research beyond what I could easily find, nor even put up pictures yet, but here are the edmontonbroadcasters.com entries that I wrote:

Keith James Jr. - DJ CHED Edmonton 1970s-early 1980s; DJ & production CFAC Calgary early 1980s; DJ, production, programming & promotion CISN-FM Edmonton 1982-85; co-owner Homestead Recorders 1985-98; DJ morning drive CJCA Edmonton late 1990s; morning drive News CFRN-AM Edmonton summer 2000-2002; instructor NAIT Radio & Television 2000-2001; CFMG-FM Edmonton weekends early 2000s.

Keith James Sr. - DJ early evenings WGH Newport News, Virginia 1963; CHED Edmonton 1964; manager SUN-FM Duncan.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm

jon wrote:Well, there are two: father and son. SoundSpark.com is KJ = Keith James Jr.

It was KJ at CFAC... and he did some amazing production.
PMC

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:53 pm

Well I'll be damned!! I thought he looked quite young in his CHED pictures!
He does look a lot like his old man!! HA!HA!

:shock:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:05 pm

Keith Sr. was the first PD who ever fired me and whoooo boy did I ever deserve it! (no details, don't ask). Outside of Surrey city limits, I have never heard the "f" word used so effectively and frequently.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:48 pm

He was after all, "one of the swingin six." 8-)
glaherty
Advanced Member

Where is This Guy Now? Keith James

Postby kellylou » Tue May 06, 2008 4:06 pm

that's Keith P. James. and for those of you that lost track of him... he ran Canada's number one country radio station (820 CHAM) backin the late 80s to about mid 90s. Odd I found this page as this Friday night the team (family) that Keith put together is meeting for a CHAM reunion in Hamilton, Ontario. ask anyone who has worked with or for him, it is NOT easy. His expectations are high but his praises and rewards match those expectations. He took a group of green, enthusiastic people and built the top country radio station of the era and bonded us for life. We have all gone our separate ways, some still in radio, some entrepeneurs, but all of us forever tied because of how he built the family. Long hours, many parties, hundreds of celebrities and a way of dealing with employees many of us have put into practice with our own staff.
Keith James left CHAM (and most of us followed suit when new owners came in). Last I heard he was on Vancouver island doing some V/O work and perhaps his wife Carolyn was running a small daycare. If anyone knows him, tell him we will be raising a drink to him on Friday night. I was his personal assistant for years....many stories....many, many many stories.
Cheers Keith!
kellylou

Postby jon » Tue May 06, 2008 6:49 pm

A lot of us were hell to work for in the 1970s and 1980s, if you didn't want to work hard and give your best. But we'd back you to the hilt if you did, even when it meant getting into a lot of trouble ourselves.

I remember when the first hints of the Oil Boom going bust began to be felt here in the summer of 1981. A peer (i.e. - also a first level hands-on Manager) was considered by many my mortal enemy, or perhaps more vice versa, but when his Manager told me that my peer was going to be laid off as soon as he returned from his 2-3 weeks of vacation, I ignored the fact that I was told not to tell him. It was his last day before vacation, and he had tears in his eyes after I told him. Not because he was losing his job, but because I cared enough to take the huge risk that he'd leak the fact I told him. Me, his enemy. He'd been saving his shekles, so he now had more time to plan a long dreamed of half year trip to Australia.

And had the chance to plan what he would say when he got back. He had a chance to tell me before he left. His Manager came into his office a few minutes after he arrived on his first day back from vacation. And just as his Manager opened his mouth, but before he could get his first word out, he said "Don't say it. I quit." and walked out of his office to go get a cup of coffee.

It wasn't Radio, but it sure sounds like great Show Prep. to me.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History