Ed Murphy passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Ed Murphy passes

Postby radiofan » Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 am

from Brian Antonson @ BCIT..

Folks:

Ed Murphy's obit is in The Sun this morning. Died at Lions Gate on April 26 of cancer. Born January 29 1929 in Toronto. Worked at CFRB, "Reaction Line" at CKWX, "The Investigators" at CKNW, and "Reaction Line" at CJOR....

Another Vancouver Talk Show Idol gone....

Always with a cigar in mouth....

ba
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Ed Murphy passes

Postby cart_machine » Thu May 01, 2008 10:38 am

B. Antonson via Radiofan wrote:Another Vancouver Talk Show Idol gone....

What? He won Talk Show Idol?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu May 01, 2008 10:45 am

Didn't Murphy run a pub down on Pender Street after he left radio? I'm sure Dan Sys must have popped in there once or twice for a cold brown after a hectic day of delivering pizza flyers and welfare checks.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu May 01, 2008 11:06 am

radiofan wrote:Didn't Murphy run a pub down on Pender Street after he left radio?

Yeah, that Irish place. I don't know how long ago he got rid of it, though.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu May 01, 2008 11:17 am

I believe this is the downtown studios of NW during the time period

Had no idea he was still near Vancouver at his death
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu May 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Someone I talked to today wondered if Murphy's family would honour his long time request.

You may recall, he always said he wanted to be buried standing up in a phone booth ... 6 feet under.
radiofan
Advanced Member

please note

Postby johnsykes » Sun May 04, 2008 7:22 pm

There are two items going re Ed's death....I don't want to call it a thread...because it's not. Please check out the funny bit I posted on the other item......Ed would be thrilled it was remembered....he laughed all night about what happened.

It was too an Irish pub....would it have been on west Pender? was in there to see him one night many moons ago.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon May 05, 2008 4:41 pm

John - a Tom Hawthorn from the Globe and Mail has been directed to
phone you
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Thanks

Postby johnsykes » Mon May 05, 2008 7:35 pm

For the great photo of Ed.....
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue May 06, 2008 6:09 am

ACROSS CANADA Vancouver radio host can't appeal conviction

Wednesday, June 23, 1982

Ottawa ONT -- OTTAWA (CP) - The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to hear an appeal from Vancouver radio host Ed Murphy against his conviction for conspiring to bribe a B.C. Cabinet minister. He and Douglas Holme were convicted in 1980 of conspiring to offer $100,000 to James Nielsen, then environment minister, to have the province release from the Agricultural Land Reserve a parcel being sought by a company for expansion. The land deal fell through and the bribe was never actually offered. The B.C. Court of Appeal agreed that the trial judge erred in admitting a wiretapped conversation between Mr. Murphy and his wife, but said there was plenty of other evidence to the same effect. The two men received six months in jail and $10,000 fines.

ACROSS CANADA Former broadcaster released on parole

Saturday, August 28, 1982

Vancouver BC -- VANCOUVER (CP) - Former broadcaster Ed Murphy has been released on parole after serving about two months of a six-month jail sentence. Consumer and Corporate Affairs Department spokesman John Usher said this week that Mr. Murphy has been ordered to divest himself of his interest in Murphy's Neighborhood Pub in Vancouver by Sept. 1. Douglas Holme, Murphy's business associate, has also applied for parole.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Why?

Postby johnsykes » Tue May 06, 2008 8:25 am

If the stories about the jail term etc had been put on his biography or whatever last year or five years ago, I would have understood. But why now, a week or so after his death. Tacky, very tacky!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Re: Why?

Postby YesterDaze » Tue May 06, 2008 10:40 am

johnsykes wrote:.....why now, a week or so after his death. Tacky, very tacky!

I might have expected this kind of do-gooder response from the sentimental amongst the great unwashed .. but John, from you? A veteran of the "all the facts" journalism wars?

The truth sometimes hurts .. but it always paints a fuller more complete picture, and should not be avoided unless massive harm would result.

After all this thread on this blog is not the official, public obit.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

True enough

Postby johnsykes » Tue May 06, 2008 2:05 pm

I know this isn't the official obit.....but why post something from 28 years ago.....what's the relevance?
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue May 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Thanks for your input yesterdaze

the history of ed murphy has not been written well

in fact, you can find little about him

Sykes:

If you dont want people to talk about your past in jail - then you should not do the crime.

We cannot just do fluff pieces on people

Jack Bennest

ps I used to drink with Ed but this little piece of history just came to my attention. I thought I knew everything ( tacky or not )
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue May 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Sadly, John, I must agree with TD.
History is warts and all.
Too often, we read obits saying so and so was the salt of the earth, the best thing to happen to the planet since it was formed etc. when the real truth is that he or she was a ruthless son (or daughter) of a bitch who treated people poorly and tried to screw everyone over on his or her climb up the ladder.
We all probably have some skeletons in the closet we'd rather not have the public hear about and when they come rattling out, some people will object, especially if that person has just died.
The best thing is to be honest and up-front and not try to hide anything that might come back to haunt you, either dead or alive.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Radio People History