Gurls in the spotlight

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Gurls in the spotlight

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:09 am

old but interesting - a bit of history

Radio gals share humiliations
Penticton Western News Oct 20, 2006.
edited for brevity

Lexine Stephens, who was working at the now defunct Kelowna radio station 99.9FM The Bullet, shared her story about swearing for two full minutes after her computer froze.

Kelsi Jordan got fired from her first radio job after she was caught washing dishes while the Vernon station went to dead air.

Jordan, who has had 17 years experience in the industry, said she wasn't surprised she lost her job.

Preceding the dish washing incident, she had gone to the bathroom during a music break and got locked out of the studio -- more dead air for an hour.

"Everybody has screwed up at work," said Jordan, who has released a compilation of other embarrassing work-related stories from other female Canadian radio personalities.

"Radio announcers roughly lose their jobs five to six times in their career."

I'm Not Wearing Pants: True Tales from Canadian Radio Gals has stories from 45 other women sharing their most amazing, and often hilarious, behind-the-scenes stories.

Unbeknownst to her, the microphone was on and the audience heard her cursing and then arguing with an office staff member about whether the mic was actually on or not.

"You hear us on the radio ... some mistakes are made in public and some are made behind-the-scenes," said Stephens who was punished with a one-day suspension without pay.

"I had to take a day off in the middle of the week .. I would have liked it if it was a Friday or a Monday."

Now working in Calgary, Stephens said she finds the book an interesting way to raise money.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History