Robert Malcolm

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Robert Malcolm

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:37 pm

08/06/10 - Former BCTV (now Global BC) CHAN-TV/8 Vancouver news anchor Robert Malcolm died Wednesday, August 4 following a heart attack. Malcolm was a 30-year news veteran, anchoring for 19 years at BCTV from 1972-91 before being replaced following a ratings decline. He was 69. He had suffered a previous heart attack in the BCTV newsroom in the early 1990s. He was most recently a realtor in the Cultus Lake area.

Thanks to VancouverBroadcasters

Rob moved to the eastern Fraser Valley, was in real estate but bought a small hotel in Alberta a few years back but that
did not meet with success.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Robert Malcolm

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Robert Malcolm - News: CKDA Victoria; CFUN Vancouver early 1960s; CKNW New Westminster; news anchor BCTV Vancouver 1972-91

More bio info at http://www.bcradiohistory.com
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:36 pm

A certain era was defined by Mr. Malcolm, and his patience with the effusive John McKeachie. This gent was a very smooth and polished host.
I only worked with Mr.Macolm for a short time and he was very nice to a young idiot like me.
My sincere sympathies to Rob's Family, and friends....especially McKeachie.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

I second that.....always enjoyed Robert on air. I feel age is is getting hard to bear sometimes. RIP Robert.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 am

Mr. Sykes was reading my mind. It is an unpleasant reminder that tempus fugit.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:48 pm

hagopian wrote:Mr. Sykes was reading my mind. It is an unpleasant reminder that tempus fugit.

Quite so. I worked with Robert at CKDA in 1962-63ish. He was doing evenings (6-midnight). We were both just kids ... So sad to hear of his passing.
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Sad news, he and Mckeach did have a nice rapport on the air.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 pm

from the Vancouver Sun

MALCOLM, Robert Park Robert Park Malcolm born January 18, 1941 in Vancouver passed away on August 4, 2010 at Royal Columbian Hospital with his wife of 34 years by his side. He will be deeply missed by his wife Maxine, children Jeff (Karen), Jill, Daren (Ellen), Kim (Warren) and his precious grandchildren Justin, Trevor, Bryce, Chase, Quinn, Devon and James. He is also survived by his brothers Peter (Helen) and Brian (Carol) and many nieces and nephews. Rob lived in Chilliwack with his wife Maxine and their cat Spunky. Papa was especially proud of all his grandchildren and their achievements. Rob spoke so fondly of his childhood days at Camp Artaban. The stories he would tell would seem so vivid in his mind and held many special memories in his heart.

Rob's work life involved over 30 years as a broadcaster. He worked for CFUN, CKNW and anchored the late news for BCTV for over 19 years. Other work included owning an Inn in Alberta with his wife Maxine. Rob loved playing scrabble, reading, being with his family, playing golf and of course, watching the golf channel on TV 24 hrs a day. Rob was very smart, kind and had a wonderful sense of humour. His hearty laugh would echo throughout the room. He took great care of his wife and absolutely adored her.

Papa will be always be with us in our hearts and we will be together again. We are planning a celebration of life for family and friends to be held on Thursday, August 12th from 1-4 at Meadowlands Golf and Country Club, 47823 Yale Road, Chilliwack. Flowers gratefully declined, however we encourage you to share any stories you have about Rob. He loved to laugh and would find great humour in anything you had to say! McLean's 604-847-3477
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History