Chuck Davis very ill.

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Chuck Davis very ill.

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:51 pm

A few of us knew Chuck was fighting cancer, but up until now he had been keeping it to himself as he tries to finish one more book. Now he needs help.

Thanks to Gord Lansdell at Northwest Broadcasters for the heads up to the SUN link.

Vancouver historian, author, columnist and broadcaster Chuck Davis has been told that he is dying of incurable lung cancer. Davis, 74, has made an impassioned plea to find a writer to finish the book The History of Metropolitan Vancouver, which he has been working on for more than a decade. He got his start in radio at CAE (Canadian Army Europe) Werl, West Germany in 1956. Among his many books on local history is Top Dog! a history of CKNW, which he penned in 1994.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Vanc ... story.html
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Re: Chuck Davis very ill.

Postby jon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:26 pm

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had a friendly e-mail exchange with Chuck a few months ago, when he was looking for info on a well known Vancouver broadcaster who Chuck had thought had passed away. We eventually concluded he hadn't, and went on to discuss other things, including the late John Runge (CKLG-FM, CBU-AM and CKUA), who we considered a friend before his untimely death in 1990. In the end, we discovered that we'd both worked at CFPR Prince Rupert, nearly 10 years apart. Only two staff were there during both time periods.

I am very, very sorry to hear this. Earlier rumours made it sound like Chuck had a fairly good chance of beating this with chemo and/or radiation therapy.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:43 pm

This was NOT what I wanted to read. Affable, talented, sweet, a great writer and wonderful Broadcaster - Chuck has been a Vancouver treasure, since the day he stepped off the train.

I have had the distinct pleasure of his company, many times.

I am sending all our Family's best to Chuck, and his Family.

He is a giant.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Chuck's battle.
Fight the big fight right to the end...
All the best to you sir.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Chuck is in very good spirits - have been talking with him today.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:13 am

Just a note from Chuck Davis - he has found the writer that will assist him in finishing off the massive job of
"History of Metro Vancouver". He moves now to a phase of fund raising to ensure success of completion.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History