RIP Chuck Davis

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

RIP Chuck Davis

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:58 am

Chuck Davis has died. The renowned author, broadcaster and historian passed away early this morning in Surrey. The family is planning a celebration life in about two months time.

Late in September Davis told an audience organized by former Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan that he had incurable cancer and would likely die soon.

Recently he was awarded the George Woodcock Award and was honoured at City hall for his many services to the City of Vancouver.

Chuck Davis - Radio: CAE (Canadian Army Europe) Werl, West Germany 1956; CJKL, Kirkland Lake & New Liskeard ON 1957; CKWS Kingston ON 1957; CKCR Kitchener ON 1958; CJVI Victoria 1960; CFPR Prince Rupert 1963; CBU Vancouver 1964-74; part-time CFUN, CHQM (one day!) & CKWX Vancouver, CJJC Langley, CJOR Vancouver 1970s. TV: CHEK-TV Victoria 1961; CBUT Vancouver 1964-74; CHAN-TV Vancouver; CKVU-TV Vancouver. Author/co-author or editor of 15 books on local history including Top Dog! a history of CKNW 1994; compiling The History of Metropolitan Vancouver 2003-current; Vancouver mayor declared "Chuck Davis Day" October 5, 2010. Mike Cleaver's interview with Chuck Davis at
http://www.bcradiohistory.com/amikecleaver/davis1.mp3
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: RIP Chuck Davis

Postby jon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:25 am

My sincere condolences to the family, his friends and everyone who knew him! A truly great loss to the community of folks who care about broadcast history.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:10 am

jon wrote:My sincere condolences to the family, his friends and everyone who knew him! A truly great loss to the community of folks who care about broadcast history.

Like Jon said....He will be missed.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks to the Vancouver Sun for publishing the news item complete with a link to
Mike Cleaver's recent interview hosted by http://www.bcradiohistory.com
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:36 pm

My condolences to his wife and his daughter and the rest of the Davis clan.
When I interviewed Chuck, it was obvious he was quite ill.
He had trouble breathing (apparently one lung was full of fluid) but he still was optimistic that treatment would help him.
We spent a delightful couple of hours together, with more stories that he didn't want to be recorded.
I'm glad we had the chance to sit down together to record his memories.
I'm happy that his family still will be able to hear his voice and his chuckle now that he's gone.
RIP, Chuck.
I really enjoy your books and will cherish my signed copy of "Top Dog."
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History