Consolidation Restrictions in Canada?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:47 pm

From All Access [06/22]

Now, Canada's Talking About Consolidation Restrictions

The Canadian Senate's standing committee on transport and communications has issued a report that suggests an automatic government review of any media merger that gives a company a greater market share than a threshold to be determined, likely 35%. Among other recommendations are to fund the CBC with enough tax money to let it go commercial free on TV (the company's radio networks are ad-free) and that station owners identify major shareholders on the air or in print. The report is not binding and whether the current government would move to limit ownership concentration is uncertain.

All Access
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:40 pm

As heard in private broadcasting boardrooms across this country:

"Well boys, seems like our golf games and dinners with the conservatives are finally paying off."

"How so?"

"Says here that the senate is going to force the CBC to go commercial free..."

"Hurray for us"
"We rule"

"And better yet, they're telling the CBC to get rid of pro sports including hockey!"

"First Brian Williams NOW THIS! Oh the rapture."

"Uh chief, what about this part here about ownership and stuff?"

"Oh! fucking liberals! get out the golf clubs boys, we've got work to do."
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:17 pm

I think the key word is "talk". I will be shocked if the Conservatives do anything to disrupt the clubby world of Canadian broadcasting.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:16 pm

I agree with all of the above.

CBC TV should be commerical free and focus on news, Canadian drama/comedy, documentaries, amateur sports. If no one watches it and we all tune into CTV's Canadian Idol, well then I guess we are a stupid country, but at least the option is there to learn something about the world. I watch CBC NewsWorld religiously... I love it. The Sunday Nights Docs are almsot always good. Yesterday on the National they do a segment at the end where they focus on a stretch of highways... yesterday it was the Dempster Highway in the Yukon. I had never heard of it before but it was a pretty good piece, no I know about an obscure Canadian highway.

All the segmetns are going to be put in a doc for Newsworld on July 12th.

I am begining to think I don't care who owns the private broadcasters... if it is Clear Channel or Rogers... makes no difference. Profit goes to San Antonio or Toronto...
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:24 pm

Well if you love it so much why do....

Anyhoo, I agree on the Dempster Highway piece, really well done and so much better because they didn't hand it over to Wayne Ronstad. I too watch CBC all the time (don't have cable) for many reasons, not the leats of which is that the local GloWball, CTV and CHUM stations suck.

CBC's The Tournament was likely the best Canadian show produced since the Newsroom (first season).

I would like to see the Corpse hold on to HNIC though, it just doesn't feel right to have it somewhere else.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Biff Crashly Kinkade wrote: I would like to see the Corpse hold on to HNIC though, it just doesn't feel right to have it somewhere else.

Yeah, HNIC just feels right on CBC on a Saturday night. That should be enshrined in law. That law would have the people's support! Hey you rookie MPs... get on it. :P

Is that show, This Hour has 22 Minutes any good? I never liked it before... but I LOVE Stephen Colbert and well... it is basically the same thing except makes fun of Canada. Anyone watch it? Maybe I should check it out.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:05 am

22 minutes jumped the shark three seasons back or so after they lost Rick Mercer. You're better off with Stewart or Colbert.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:28 am

The CBC is the biggest bargain that Canadian taxpayers get from the Feds. Of all the $$ that I send to the bandits in Ottawa the 30 bucks a year that goes to the Mothercorp is well spent. I don't watch or listen to the CBC much but when I do it's a quality product even if I don't agree with politics. The CBC provides free radio and television service to many Canadians that don't have access to anything else which is easy to forget when you live in a big city. Are there problems with CBC? Sure. Are they bureaucratic and arrogant sometimes? Sure. But in my experience they are no worse than any of the private corporate broadcasters. HNIC belongs on the CBC. With all it's faults it is a Canadian institution and I don't want to see it pimped out by private broadcasters. They are making enough money off of American shows they don't need the cash it would generate for their shareholders.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News