Fred Latremouille - an appreciation.

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Fred Latremouille - an appreciation.

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Please allow me to say a few words about a man who became my mentor, Brother-in-law and for many years, one of my best friends.

Fred knew a ton of people, and a lot of people thought they knew him.

Not so fast. Fred was a multilayered, intelligent, wary, complex and edgy gent, who was like being around a hand grenade. You never knew when the guy would make some wild move.

Red called him 'impetuous' - and he was. Capricious, but he could back it all up with TALENT.

We spent time together as he got over CHEMO in 1973. We played Racquetball at the MARC and we hung with the rest of the crew, at Bimini - just up from the old CFUN Studios.I backed him up - on his Morning shows on CFUN and KISS-FM. I would get calls at 2 in the morning - because Fred was 'not well'. I never asked. I could guess.

Fred was always helping people - but quietly. He was extremely generous, but funny, I never saw him as comfortable in his own skin. He was a "seeker'. Very well read.

The best jock I ever heard. (*Worst board op in the world, and he would admit it :-) )

If you knew him - I wish you my best and if you were a fan - the same. We were all fans.

I am proud that I was Fred Latremouille's friend. You get to meet very few true genius', in your lifetime. He was one.

RIP, pal.

I will never forget you.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Fred Latremouille - an appreciation.

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:15 pm

I just found out that Fred was a member of Mensa.
Genius level intellect. All the years I knew him and he never mentioned it.
That says a lot about a person.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:12 pm

That does?

How about people who were great broadcasters and lovely people but not that smart. I could mention a couple.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Jack, you know what I meant. Many people would have the plaque on the wall, bro.

Just saying.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Fred was a genius on and off the air. I would bet Latremornings brought more money into CFUN and KISS FM that Frosty did for NW thanks to Fred's huge female appeal in the big dollar demos.

In addition to his success on radio, he was one of the more in demand voice talents for local and national advertisers. He also did well in TV, from his late teen year stints on Music Hop, Let's Go and Dance
Party. Let's not forget his time as Weather guy on BCTV.

In the class of Vancouver broadcasters past and present, Fred was the valedictorian.

RIP the ultimate Good Guy.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:15 am

While I never met the man, Latremouille had the kind of on-air personality that made you FEEL like he was an old friend hanging out for a few hours each day. So sad that his retirement years were cut short. Thanks for all the great memories Fred!
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:45 pm

April 14th - Red and Carole Robinson have arranged a Celebration for Fred.

All 90 places are already gone. All is NOT lost, if you are not on the list.

Check in with Red and leave your name and maybe you can squeeze in.

It says a lot about the love people had for Freddie that so many people are breaking down the doors to get in to say goodbye.

Wayne Cox - who deserves a medal - will be there. He was in Arizona carrying the freight, when Freddie passed, and it must hard for him to carry that load. Thanks, Wayne.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News