CRTC Revokes AVR and Salt Spring licenses

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: CRTC Revokes AVR and Salt Spring licenses

Postby albertaboy4life » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Just an open carrier now at AVR's 88.1 FM in Calgary.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Edmonton's transmitter is still alive and well and broadcasting a good clean signal where I am, which is about as far away as one can get from the transmitter and still be in Edmonton.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:14 am

skyvalleyradio wrote:Whenever I needed questions answered or clarification regarding rules & regs, a phone call to the friendly staff at the CRTC usually got the answers I needed. In spite of my criticisms of the CRTC, the staff are great & have always been helpful 'staying the course'

It's just that easy. Nicely put.

skyvalleyradio wrote:I've never figured out how S Dhillon is able to hold licenses in both Canada & the US either. Nothing sketchy this guy does surprises me anymore

The US stations listed are owned by a India based company - Radio Mirchi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Mirchi My guess would be undisclosed silent partnership.

skyvalleyradio wrote:sweltering in Grand Forks...this is your Sky Captain reporting to Radiowest News :groovy:

A little off topic, but radio nonetheless... doing any 2 meter or 70 cm. QSO there?
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Dave L wrote:

"The US stations listed are owned by a India based company - Radio Mirchi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Mirchi My guess would be undisclosed silent partnership."

Dhillon & the other "border blasters" are masters at restructuring companies, numbered limited companies, subsdiaries, silent shareholders etc which would explain how he's able to own stations in both the US & Canada

My wife tells me via email that CFSI-FM-1 still has extremely distorted audio inputed to the transmitter & audio output level far below 75% modulation making it's audio far below the average volume level when comparing to other broadcast signals. It will be interesting to see if these signals actually get shut off on July 25 as ordered.

"sweltering in Grand Forks...

A little off topic, but radio nonetheless... doing any 2 meter or 70 cm. QSO there?"

YES!! I repaired the power supply on my Icom battery charger, cooked up some old battery packs & discovered my old RS HTX 2M handheld works again! I don't own a cell phone, smartphone, iPad or any other portable device & my wife was insistent I take communications while travelling alone on a roadtrip.

We have been acquiring firewood 20 km up an FSR NE of Grand Forks in an active logging area. Nobody's cell phone works up there, yet I can bring up the 146.940 GF repeater even on low power. I can also monitor the road's radio frequency 153.350 to ensure we are out of the way before these guys start work at 7. Since I'm too buggered up to do the hard work, I got to monitor the radio, file the saws, keep some 50:1 mix at the ready, bring my friends cold water & pull 'windrows' apart with the truck & chokers. I also assisted a stranded motorist at a rest area north of Cache Creek, called in to the local repeater & had a friendly ham call up a tow truck for these people. Ham radio rules!!

groovin in Grand Forks... :glasses7:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Their website indicates nothing, but the on line player for Calgary does not work work. I am betting there will be a big scramble to obtain those frequencies in Toronto & Vancouver.
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:09 pm

beddows wrote:I am betting there will be a big scramble to obtain those frequencies in Toronto & Vancouver.

Unlike the Decision itself, the Press Release is the only place that I could find that specifically says that the frequencies are being reserved:

Serving urban Aboriginal communities

The CRTC believes that the presence of Aboriginal services in markets where AVR held licences would benefit those urban communities and complement existing services. Accordingly, in the near future, the CRTC will issue a call for applications for the operation of the frequencies that will become available as a result of this decision. Proposals by services looking to serve Aboriginal communities will receive priority.

This and similar statements in the decision about the absence of "Aboriginal services" in Edmonton may be just be an oversight on the CRTC's part, not having any members from here, but it could easily be taken as a real slap in the face, and maybe even threat to the local license, of CFWE-FM in Edmonton. They have long run about 50 small simulcast transmitters to service individual Reserves, but more recently were given two higher powered licenses in Edmonton and Fort McMurray, in order to expand their service to "the Urban Native".

I was also wondering why the CRTC has not bundled in frequencies and licenses from the other markets that AVR had previously been licensed for, such as Regina and Saskatoon.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:44 pm

jon wrote:I was also wondering why the CRTC has not bundled in frequencies and licenses from the other markets that AVR had previously been licensed for, such as Regina and Saskatoon.

Maybe the commission feels Saskatchewan is being adequately served by Missinipi Broadcasting, which has repeaters of CJLR-FM La Ronge in Regina and Saskatoon and elsewhere, and news bureaus as well.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:25 pm

CKAV-FM-2 106.3 Vancouver went dark sometime in the last 24 hours. Not even a carrier.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 pm

CKAV's Edmonton transmitter is still on the air with normal programming.

Had to resort to this antenna to get decent enough reception in the basement to aircheck in stereo:
http://www.ccrane.com/FM-Antennas/FM-Re ... le-Antenna

Be interesting to see if all the transmitters comply with the July 25th deadline. There is not a lot to lose at this point in time.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:20 pm

I can't receive the main 107.9 signal here at home, but CFSI-FM-1 is still on air on 102.1 with it's undermodulated horribly distorted audio
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:03 pm

106.3 Vancouver is back on-air. A random spot check on Wednesday had shown nothing there.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:51 am

"The Commission revokes the broadcasting licences for the Type B Native radio stations CKAV-FM Toronto, CKAV-FM-2 Vancouver, CKAV-FM-3 Calgary, CKAV-FM-4 Edmonton and CKAV-FM-9 Ottawa held by Aboriginal Voices Radio Inc. (AVR), effective 25 July 2015. The licensee must cease broadcasting by no later than the end of the broadcast day on that date." (CRTC Decision)

Edmonton is still on the air this morning (July 26th). Not sure about the others.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby DenMan1965 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:26 am

Calgary still on the air to Jon
DenMan1965
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:34 am

CKAV-FM-2 Vancouver is still on the air.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:55 am

CFSI-FM-1 is still on air with a dead carrier - audio disappeared yesterday. No surprise there. The owner would actually have to pay someone money to go up the mountain & turn the transmitter off. I am surprised that CKAV stations are still on air though.I guess one doesn't really need a license to broadcast any more :glasses7:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Radio News