RCMP media relations

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: RCMP media relations

Postby the-real-deal » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:57 pm

J Kendrick wrote:
the-real-deal wrote:Hello John:
Just to clarify, the story that I filed in 1986 re: Alex Fraser was regarding him GETTING cancer, not dying of cancer.

at
If the story that you filed was in 1986... then the phone call you described earlier most certainly did not come from yours truly. :-)

That's about as likely as George Garrett having called CJOR...

Regarding the layoffs at CJOR, the talk show host at the time, the legendary Pat Burns, was never notified of the layoffs. He had to read about it on a poster taped to the front door, on his way to work ! What a horrible way to end one's career !

Pat Burns was on holiday when the format change was announced ... and I am all too familiar with the details of those layoffs at CJOR. I was one of the victims... :-(

I wonder, now, who that male caller was, from CKNW News who had phoned the Cariboo Radio Newsroom on a Sunday night, circa 1986, giving me fatherly instructions on how to approach then Highways Minister Alex Fraser about a tip that he had throat cancer.

I was surprised that anyone had called, but maybe they liked me, given the fact that I was a frequent poster to the former WIN Network.

Pat Markley, whom I fed the story to, might remember. Would anyone else know ?

I know for a fact that it wasn't George Garrett. Therefore, it must have been Warren Barker.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:04 pm

Pat Burns - someone should write a book

I was there - not at the beginning and not at the end.

More later
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:10 pm

"And a Good Evening and welcome to all of you Hot Liners, as once again, we go forward with another three hours of argument, discussion and debate...on any topic under the sun.
The Pat Burns Hot Line is the programme with no false gods, or sacred cows, and the one that dares you to think, wants you to think, and having thought, speak up. And when I say any topic under the sun, I mean precisely that. For it doesn't matter to me whether what you want to talk about is of a purely local nature, regional, provincial, state wide, national, international, philosophic, outer space, or sports."

"Burns on line... Go Ahead... "
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:17 pm

Well, I found Pat Burns to be a real, larger than life, personality, one of the best ever, if not the best of all time.

Every time that he opened his mouth, it was pure funny, pure entertainment. Few people are like that, today.

He cannot be replicated or duplicated. He was the pioneer of shock radio, way before that *sshole Howard Stern and others like him.

What he did and said while working at CKGM Montreal was just scandalous.

He was very good at annoying people, yet, was hard to ignore.

He was the first English on air personality in Montreal - (and I'm from there, so I know), to have the balls to call a Frenchman a "frog" while on the air.

Who in politically correct radio and tv would have the guts.... to say that today.

Of course, he nearly paid with his life with that comment.

The phone call eventually came, with the caller saying he had "a gun with a scope" in the parking lot, waiting for Burns.

Who among the talk show hosts of today can generate that type of fun today?

My last recollection of the legendary Pat Burns was not good.

This was just after his layoff at CJOR.

I last saw him on Vancouver cable television, hosting a talk show. But, it was television and Pat was a big rotund guy, dressed in a nice suit, but, out of his league.

He was like a king in exile.

He was made for radio, and not tv.

The camera either loves ya or hates ya. That's why many of us still slog away in radio !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:20 am

Pat was not a pretty picture especially if drunk

He was a voice, a personality, a man who attracted a following of women and men....

No one could live with him - he washed his own black socks and hung them up on the shower curtain rod..... I should know.

"I don't care if they love me or hate me as long as they listen to me."

"Go ahead doll"
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News