Gary Bell Out at AM640 Toronto

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Gary Bell Out at AM640 Toronto

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:34 pm

A lot of us know Gary Bell, as well as a few who have worked with him; it's a relatively small community of 1970's/ 80's veterans.
This comes a perplexing surprise but then, regarding broadcast and media notables, it's been a dizzy day in the news wheel.

By BRUCE DEMARA
Star.com Entertainment Reporter
Wed., Nov. 29, 2017

Citing complaints of anti-Semitic content on a Nov. 11 episode, Corus Entertainment has fired veteran broadcaster Gary Bell, ending his weekly Saturday night radio show on AM640.

“I can confirm that Mr. Bell has been terminated from his employment with AM640 and Corus Entertainment,” said company spokesperson Rishma Govani.

“We sincerely apologize to our listeners and anyone else who was offended by Mr. Bell’s egregious comments. Corus Radio recognizes that our broadcast licences are a privilege. Therefore we are taking strong and immediate steps to ensure such an incident at is never repeated,” Govani added.

The show, entitled A View From Space, featured commentary from Bell, a.k.a. Spaceman, on conspiracy theories. The show ran from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. during the NHL season and from 8 p.m. to midnight in the off-season; a digital archive of episodes online stretches back to 2004.

Bell, who has appeared on radio in a variety of programs since the 1970s, could not be reached for comment. An online petition to restore his show had 85 signatures as of Wednesday morning.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News