Corus stock is way up

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Corus stock is way up

Postby tuned » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:39 am

Great article on what's happening at Corus. Stock is up and the dividend is solid.

"Corus had a strong quarter in radio, where it saw 2.9-per-cent revenue growth, which Mr. Murphy said was thanks in part to “the scale benefits of local.” Sales teams, he said, were having a “great time” selling television and radio advertising together in large markets.

He also highlighted “revenue synergies” the company achieved by bringing together Global TV and radio programming in various markets. The reshaping of Global News has changed the news landscape in Canada. In mid-February, Corus cut nearly 80 jobs from its Global News division, largely in television production, saying it would open 50 new positions to focus on online news."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... ectations/
tuned
Advanced Member

Re: Corus stock is way up

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am

It's still got a long way to go though . . .

Recognizing a business is worth what a person/the market is willing to pay for it -

Book value per share is just under $12. http://quotes.wsj.com/CA/CJRB/financials

Five years ago it was trading as high as $26 a share and recently traded as low as $5.56 a share.

"Book value simply implies the value of the company on its books, often referred to as accounting value. It's the accounting value once assets and liabilities have been accounted for by a company's auditors." https://www.investopedia.com/articles/i ... -value.asp
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:07 am

Funny how $5 to $6 can be a pivotal figure for a falling stock. Back in the mid/early’90s, Apple got down to that level in US greenbacks. Factoring in subsequent 7-for-1 split, Apple currently trades at the equivalent of about $1,400US a share. BlackBerry (formerly Research In Motion) also bottomed under $6CDN last year but has risen as high as about $17CDN since.

So one hopes for the best at Corus. I do wonder how much debt (hopefully manageable) Shaw stuck them with when the spinoff transaction occurred. The other important point about $5-6/share is that if a declining stock falls below that for any length of time it can then, like Bombardier easily get stuck under $2. Much lower and a so-called “penny stock” usually goes on death watch for either creditor protection or, less dire, a buyout from a lurking competitor.

We’ll see which way things go for Corus. For now, fingers crossed.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 pm

An hour ago, TD downgraded Corus to a one year target price of $9 from $11, and predicts a major drop in Dividend.

But their Recommendation is HOLD and their Risk is HIGH.

On the other hand, Shaw has a one year target of $34 (they are now $24.80), ACTION LIST BUY is their Recommendation, and Risk is MEDIUM. Dividend is currently 4.78%.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm

jon wrote:An hour ago, TD downgraded Corus to a one year target price of $9 from $11, and predicts a major drop in Dividend.

But their Recommendation is HOLD and their Risk is HIGH.

On the other hand, Shaw has a one year target of $34 (they are now $24.80), ACTION LIST BUY is their Recommendation, and Risk is MEDIUM. Dividend is currently 4.78%.

Love that you "radio jockies" are having an investment discussion here! :glasses7:

I don't like Corus for the reasons you mentioned. Specialty TV channels are the new Achilles' heel of all Canadian media companies - most of them are worth $0 and may even have negative values when you factor in shut down and severance costs. I like Corus for its radio division and I haven't run the numbers, personally, but perhaps I should. I could take into account the radio station's revenues and net income, or EBITDA, whatever's available, and divide by number of shares to see what it's trading at on a P/E basis. If, based on the Radio division and maybe Global TV (if they break that out separately), the adjusted P/E is 10 or less, then it might be a good buy.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu May 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Allow me to parade a little personal arrogance and outright hubris here:
If I am not working for one of the biggies, I'm not buying their stock.
Thank you.
(This has been me - digging me.) :bag:
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News