BIONDI TERMINATED

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Flash Frizbone » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:01 am

Its sad to see one of your old "heroes" disposed of ..Dick Biondi one of the greatest jocks of the 20th Century was terminated by CBS yesterday along with with two other greats Fred Winston and Greg Brown..the other two are young enough to dust themselves off and carry on..but it hurts to see Dick get the boot.
You wont find a bigger Biondi fan than me..if you listen closely to Dick on air he was always your buddy on the air..he cared..he didn't give a dam about the suits signing his cheques..he cared about the fans..back in the golden days of Top 40 Radio the jocks were bigger than the artists they played as a whole..hell you give me a choice between meeting Dick Biondi or Paul McCartney and I'd choose the Wild Itralian any day.Dick..you are one of the greats and its people like you that made my youth such a blast!
WJMK FM HD-2 Chicago let Dick have a final show which aired last night..he's not getting any younger and I dont know if he'll bounce back from this one..and who could blame him..lets hope he doesn't hang them up for good..
Signed-His Biggest Fan!
Flash Frizbone
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:49 am

Flash Frizbone wrote:..Dick Biondi one of the greatest jocks of the 20th Century was terminated by CBS yesterday along with with two other greats Fred Winston and Greg Brown..the other two are young enough to dust themselves off and carry on..but it hurts to see Dick get the boot.

Fred Winston?! I've got old WLS surveys from 1972 with him pictured and he didn't look like a teenager even then.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:19 am

Mr.Winston in a brief bio on the WLS site...and yeah, he's gotta be older than dirt...wonderously talented dirt!

http://user.pa.net/~ejjeff/winstonwls.html

BR
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Flash Frizbone » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:33 am

How old is Fred....I thought he was younger than that
Flash Frizbone
Advanced Member

Postby Flash Frizbone » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:00 am

Dick has to be at least 10-15 years older than Fred Winston..I've been trying to find the ages on both of them but can only hazard a guess..Biondi has to be in his early to mid 70s..Fred would be in his early 60s at most
Flash Frizbone
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:39 am

Both 440.com and reelradio make no references to anything before WKYC-1100 Cleveland in 1968 for Fred Winston. While young DJs didn't normally start out life at a 50KW clear channel station, the summer 1968 reelradio aircheck does make reference to Fred doing vacation relief for Chuck Dunaway.

Like Steve Grossman (CKLG's Little Stevie Wonder), he may just have been a very talented summer student board op. who got lucky.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:47 am

I obviously missed reading Jeff Roteman's WLS page (see above) about Fred. Since it appears to be chronological, it shows Fred starting at an unnamed station in Denver, then to KOIL Omaha, WKYC, but also adds WING-1410 Dayton before three years at KQV Pittsburgh that led to WLS in 1971.

All this to say that, based on how fast he moved around, he probably started in Radio in 1966 or 1967. Assuming he was 17 in 1966, that would make him 57 now.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News