Gord Robison (1951-2008)

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:11 pm

jon wrote:CHED didn't run News at 1:00 p.m.

Try the audio vault

http://www.630ched.com/StationShared/AudioVault.aspx
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Here it is:
http://www.radiowest.ca/sound/firstnewscast.mp3

The lead item on the 12:30 p.m. News from the Audio Vault
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pieinthesky » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:38 pm

This is indeed sad news. We'll all miss you. :(
Last edited by pieinthesky on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pieinthesky
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Other than John Sykes, I am probably one of the few that recall his working/listening to him at CFOX in PointeClaire (Montreal)... I also remember him at XL with some of the others in the Moffat clan... a great guy that will be missed. My sincere condolences to his family.
PMC

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:51 pm

I never knew or met Gord, but got many hours of enjoyment listening to him on CKLG and respected his insightful, points-of-view here in the Radiowest sandbox. My condolences to the Robson family
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:15 pm

I first met Gord in July 1970, marshalling up for the Stampede parade in Calgary. He was riding, representing CKXL, in a very cool MGB convertable and I was co-piloting a somewhat less cool P.O.S. ride for CJDV in Drumheller. I was not only impressed with the car but also with the fact that, at only three years older than I, he was already jocking at XL. Three years later, I would be there myself but he had already moved on to CHED and LG in Vancouver.
Like Segue, I was always in the same or near the same markets as Gord but always at competing stations. Such a great guy. My heart goes out to his family and all who loved him.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:44 pm

Shocked,saddened,and feeling a sense of loss here.

Gord , B.and Rick are probably making merry above us at this point,and wondering what mischief to get into next.

Too soon.. too young.

Condolences to his family.

BR
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby jon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:08 pm

The CHED 6 p.m. News concluded with the reading of the complete item posted on the 630ched.com site, plus an explanation that CHQT is currently better known as Cool 8-80.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:54 pm

We have just posted three new Gord Robson airchecks from three eras of his almost 40 year career.

They are in the "This Week's Feature Airchecks" section above, or click the link below,

Enjoy!

Airchecks
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

A Class Act

Postby Eileen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:03 am

I had the privilege of working with Gord Robson on three separate radio starions over the years. I will miss his kindness greatly.

After his return to CHED in the late 80's, I did traffic on Gord's afternoon drive show. Then in 1990-91, I co-hosted mornings with him on KING-FM, briefly POWER 92 before our AM and FM stations flipped morning shows. Most recently, I watched him regain his favourite format as I did 20/20 News during his afternoon show on COOL 880, The Boss. Between songs, his stories of experiences with so many of the artists were astounding.

What a life and career! But yet - his children were the most important thing to him. He was so proud of his sons, and their career accomplishments. His time with his beloved daughter was so very precious to him as well.

Gord had also recently been working on talent development with the young performers at Shaw Cable in Edmonton. He was very proud of improvements they were making, and certain that some of them will attain national status.

My saddest memory (other than the phone call I got Saturday morning with this news) was being with him on-air when his wife called to let him know his mother had passed away.

My favourite memories though - acting as designated driver when he and Wayne Bryant and I would go for lunch in the early 90's. The stories were amazing. Two very different people, who had been best friends - Wayne was the best man at Gord's wedding. Two men with very different ways of leading people, both now gone from our lives.

Goodbye, Gord. You will be missed by so many, many people.
Eileen

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:16 am

What a way to start the weekend; waking up to learn that yet another radio legend has left us - It ain't right I tell ya.

I only had the pleasure of meeting Gord Robson once, in Lethbridge, Alberta in 1999.

Radiofan and I drove up there to look at a record library that CFRV was trying to rid itself of.

The records - which were mouldering away in an old garage a couple of blocks away from the station - were trashed. But the trip wasn't a complete waste of time.

I got to meet Gord.

After graciously giving up a part of his day to take us on a tour of the station, he invited Radiofan and I to join him for lunch at a nearby restaurant later when he got off work.

We bummed around town a couple of hours and then headed over to meet Gord.

When Gord turned up, he was carrying a manilia envelope stuffed full of old CHED, CJCA and CKXL Top 40 charts - which he obviously treasured - and as each dusty chart came out of the envelope, the stories began to flow.

They were tales about a time and a place that doesn't exist anymore, but Gord had a way of telling them that clicked on an invisible projector inside your head that played out like a movie.

You could picture in your mind all of it; the radio stations, the personalities, the music and the jingles, with Gord, sitting across the table from us narrating the action; the crazy hell bent for leather crazy kaleidoscope that was Top 40 radio, sixties style.

But Gord wasn't reading from a script. Each and every word came from the heart - he was a communicator after all, a painter of words.

There aren't many like him around anymore, and sadly, they always seem to leave the party way too early.
Last edited by Glen Livingstone on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Farewell my friend

Postby johnsykes » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:22 am

Gord and I never crossed paths. I left CFOX, Montreal, in August 1969 and Gord joined the station about two years later. We were at competing stations in Vancouver, but never met.

Strangely, a year or so ago, I received an email from him...something to do with a comment I made on this site. Since then, we had conversed so many times....about radio in general, but more pointedly, about the old days at CFOX.

Gord also littered me with great jokes....scores of them...each and every day of the week. Most of the jokes left a smile on my old face.

His passing this weekend has deeply saddened not only me, but so many others. Rest in peace, Gord. You will be fondly remembered.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Rob Collins » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:30 am

Condolences to Gord's family on his passing during this Easter Weekend.

A time to reflect on the kindness he displayed to many breaking into the business with a helping hand.

I can still here him pounding out those magnificent call letters C-K-L-G back in the mid 70's.

To those who knew him best, his spirit is now free.

See you on the other side, Gord.

Thanks for your advice downstairs while taking my broadcasting course with Dan Williamson and Greg Collins.

Regards,

Rob Collins
Last edited by Rob Collins on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When it comes to horsepower, too much is just enough.
Objects in mirror were not fast enough....
Rob Collins
Advanced Member

Postby Mutzy 55 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:18 am

From Montreal :So Sad to hear about Gord' passing.I got an e-mail from my good friend Marc Denis of Q92 this morning telling me the sad news.My sincere Condolences to the family.

I will always remember Superjock Gord Robson's immense talent when he was at CFOX in Montreal.I never missed Gord's PM drive that summer of 1971.Thanks for all the memories Gord....

Image[/b]
Mutzy 55

Postby jon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:11 am

From the cool880.com site:

Memo from THE BOSS

Gord Robison

The CORUS family was very sad to learn of the death of Gord Robison. In a career that spanned decades Gord was known as an outstanding broadcaster, a dedicated sports ‘nut’ and a man who believed in the teaching of his craft to the next generation. The names, of the many he mentored, are scattered across hundreds of Canadian radio stations. Few Canadian broadcasters led the charmed and charming life of Gord Robison, who felt equally at home interviewing rock and roll icons as he did hockey greats! From east to west, north to south his particular brand of talent is rarely seen in today’s radio stations. Gord mastered every skill, honed every talent and capitalized on every opportunity. No challenge was too great or too small…he could and would do it all….. after all he was GORD ROBISON… a great voice has been silenced.. and we miss him.
jon
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Radio News