Excerpts

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:21 am

I don't think people really care about AM or FM," said Robin Bertolucci, KFI's program director for the last four years. "It's like network or cable on television. They just want to watch the show they want to watch. It's not the delivery, it's the program."

"FM is struggling right now, and it's got to find something that works, and talk radio is going to be it," - "And there's an old saying in radio that good programming on FM will beat good programming on AM."

Michael Harrison, editor and publisher of the talk radio magazine Talkers.

Reporter: WHAT HAS SURPRISED YOU THE MOST ABOUT THE MYSPACE EXPERIENCE?

Rupert Murdoch: The speed at which it has grown. It has had no marketing. Not a penny has been spent marketing it before or after the purchase, and it just grows faster and faster every week. Now we're taking it out to other countries.

Reporter: DOES MYSPACE OFFER A TEMPLATE THAT CAN BE ADOPTED TO UPGRADE ALL OF YOUR CORE BUSINESSES?

Murdoch: MySpace demonstrated what we felt but now really drives it into us that the world has really changed -- that the average person who is computer proficient is self-empowered in their lives in a way they never have before.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:29 am

Top Dog wrote: "FM is struggling right now, and it's got to find something that works, and talk radio is going to be it," - "And there's an old saying in radio that good programming on FM will beat good programming on AM."

Michael Harrison, editor and publisher of the talk radio magazine Talkers.

I'd settle for good programming, period.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:03 am

Top Dog wrote: I don't think people really care about AM or FM," said Robin Bertolucci, KFI's program director for the last four years. "It's like network or cable on television. They just want to watch the show they want to watch. It's not the delivery, it's the program."

Right...So if it were a television comparison it wouldn't make any difference to the viewer if the delivery system were either a 10 inch black and white set on rabbit-ears or HDTV digital on a full sized plasma screen.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:13 am

Yes Neumann...if American Idol was on a ten inch b&w with a beer stained screen and The One was on the latest high def plasma the former would get more viewers. Viewers don't care about technology unless it makes something that they already watch better but technology in itself is pointless. It is all about content which is something that most Canadian broadcasters have completely forgotten about.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:17 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:
Top Dog wrote: I don't think people really care about AM or FM," said Robin Bertolucci, KFI's program director for the last four years. "It's like network or cable on television. They just want to watch the show they want to watch. It's not the delivery, it's the program."

Right...So if it were a television comparison it wouldn't make any difference to the viewer if the delivery system were either a 10 inch black and white set on rabbit-ears or HDTV digital on a full sized plasma screen.

For radio talk shows and news it doesn't really make a difference. Listeners don't care if it's AM or FM, but yes, programming of identical quality will get better ratings on FM - not beacause of sound quality, but for ease of reception.

New technologies have shown us that people are willing to take huge leaps backwards with sound quality if the content's good.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:33 am

Even when we signed-on with 66-CFR, the pundits were telling us we were doomed. This because "AM was dead and FM rules the airwaves."

So, an 18% share later, the same pundits were saying it wouldn't last for more than a couple of books.

So, 6 years later..... the owners and consultants took a 2 and a half with a twist (in the pike position) dive onto their own swords and finally.... the pundits were right.

Radio reminds me of a bunch of turkeys staring straight up at the rain in that they don't notice how their peers are drowning themselves. The ones under the corrugated metal shelter aren't smart - they're just "lucky". (But, they keep telling each other how really "smart" they are. :)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 am

Thanks PAVE.
RIGHT ON!

A Definition of a Radio Consultant:

You have a 6.0 share and invite a Radio Consultant - and they come into the Station and ask to see your wallet.
You hand them your wallet and they take all your credit cards and even your Canadian Tire Money - and they tell you how much money you had.

Then - with format tweaks and slashing of staff - VOILA - a new 3.9 share and sinking....

Where are the genius' that came up with "Talk with Attitude" - visuals of duct tapped toilets - and TALK FOR GUYS....then there was ALL SPORTS...in a town with one NHL team - a CFL team that plays 14 weeks a year and a Soccer team that has trouble filling Swangard....

I took great pleasure in telling the last consultant that was trying to make me something I wasn't and destroying my station - to take a flying leap. Those weren't exactly the words I used - I told this Andriod to shove it where the Shure don't shine.

That's why I am currently rummaging through the dumpster outside of CFUN hoping to scoop some used Rod Stewart CD's.
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:16 pm

Well, at least you're demonstrating a remnant of musical "taste". :)

I'm amazed! The consultants are still tweaking music-formats and trying to come up with other "niche" formats.

Since, in their wisdom (and some of it valid), they have destroyed the talent-base, they are left with.......

Further - and this is where I make most of my enemies - the Talent still hasn't got a rat's-ass clue about what it is they are supposed to be doing or.... how to do it.

Is it any wonder they are not being given the opportunities to even try?

A legitimate question of a manager or a PD to a potential on-air staffer would be: "What do you intend to do and how do you intend to do it, specifically?

The next element would be: would the manager or PD understand the response (if there was one) or would they just sigh and wait for the long, pregnant, silent pause to dissipate?
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News