A suggestion

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Glen Livingstone » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:14 am

johnsykes wrote:TDM???  Does anyone think he's a legend any more than he does himself??

John -

Say what you like about Terry, but his career in radio, tv and movies has spanned forty years.

CKRD Red Deer; CFAC Calgary; CJME Regina 1963-64; CFUN Vancouver; CKLG AM & FM late 1960s; CKVN Vancouver 1970; host CBC radio show Great Canadian Gold Rush 1975-80; morning host CFOX-FM Vancouver early 1980s; Good Rockin' Tonite CBC-TV 1982-85; CHUM & CHUM-TV Toronto; TV and movie actor including The Accused, McCabe and Mrs. Miller and The X-Files; host Mulligan Stew CKUA Edmonton (originates in Vancouver) 1995-current; Much Music/Much More Music; co-host MovieTelevision current; Senior Segment Producer cable TV channel Star! 1998-current; co-host with Jason Priestley Hollywood and Vines Star! 2006-current.

I think you should show a lttle more respect.

I know Terry quite well and have worked with him over the years. Yes, he has an ego but tell me someone who doesn't in this business?

By the way, you're the one who started this thread and so far you've yet to provide one name of someone in the business who you admire.

How about it?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:48 am

Did John Sykes not replace TeDiuM as PD at CKVN in 1971?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:56 am

Au contraire Tottie.....actually only had a mo this morning to pi** on TDM.

Certainly my suggestions since I got to this area in 1969 would be Sir James Robson without a doubt......Tiger Al without a doubt.....J.P. McConnell without a doubt.

News side? Warren Barker and probably his whole news staff in the 70's and 80's...and time up to when Warren retired.

Jocks? You guys know better than I.....but I'd include Red for sure...Fred L., and ok TDM I suppose. J.B. Shayne because it was impossible for any p.d. to control him, including me. The guy was amazing. Real Roy in his heyday....Darryl B.? Jolly John Tanner?

And for the Wall of Shame.....Plasteras and his bunch
Simon Ginsberg, ex of CKVN days

Talk Show hosts......Webster, Burns, Murphy, the other guy from NW, name escapes me...wrote a book about cruise ships...(getting old, you know - mind not so sharp).
Barrie Clark is another from the talkies.

I'll come up with more

J.S.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:13 pm

johnsykes wrote:
Talk Show hosts......Webster, Burns, Murphy, the other guy from NW, name escapes me...wrote a book about cruise ships...(getting old, you know - mind not so sharp).

That would be Gary Bannerman B)
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:03 pm

Thanks Radiofan...that would indeed be Bannerman.....and so no one gets the wrong idea....the Talk Show hosts are of course for the Hall of Fame listings, not the other. And how about adding Fanny Kiefer's name to the talkies.....such a level-spoken lady....sh'e taken a lot of crap in this market, but always seems to come out on top.

And adding one voice to the sports side....Garry Raible should not be left off.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:19 pm

johnsykes wrote: TDM??? Does anyone think he's a legend any more than he does himself??

C'mon John. If you tear yourself away from your NW nutswinging long enough, you may realize TDM has been around and still going strong, from his boss jock days at CKLG to hosting duties on Switchback, BackTrax, MuchWest and MovieTelevision/StarTV to his occasional fill-in gigs.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:49 pm

I only met Plasteras once - at a function at the PNE that disappointed everyone
who was invited.

I don't know if he was responsible but there is still a foul taste of the birthday
cake in my mouth.

Plasteras is not a broadcaster. He is a corporate mid level manager whose speciality
is 'survival'. You have to give it to him for that...if nothing else.

I think if he was let go - he would be snapped in a second by the corporate world
who love a good hatchet man.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:09 pm

Top Dog wrote: Plasteras is not a broadcaster. He is a corporate mid level manager whose speciality
is 'survival'. You have to give it to him for that...if nothing else.

I think he'd make a helluva greeter at Wal :) Mart
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:18 pm

Here's my take on Tedium....I think he has a lot of talent but he has managed to squander it in the last decade by doing entertainment fluff for the big studios. Usually it's a place for kids to start out in TV but TDM's just can't resist the "free weekends with the stars". He seems to take the celebrity stuff seriously which makes him a little hard to take. You have to hand it to him for a long career and in the end you can't fault him for doing what it takes to feed his family. As far as some of the greats go I concur with most of the selections....Jim Neilsen was an excellent broadcaster as was Chuck Cook. The "B" team of the 60s and 70s was better than what passes for top shelf these days.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:30 pm

Now there is a statement not many could fight with.

The B team of the 60 and 70's is better than what passes for top shelf today.

thanks for chuck, jim, gary raible, jolly john, murphy, bannerman

how about terry moore?

family with most broadcasters?

rutherford
good
mack
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:06 pm

I have a problem with Terry Moore...and it's something I overheard in public. I will not divulge....simply to say...let someone else submit his name. I won't.

Also, after much thinking this afternoon, I withdraw my objection to TDM.....truly enough, he's done well.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:09 pm

Jim Nielsen, I apologize for not suggesting Jim. We had some wonderful shots back and forth in the old Grosvenor Hotel. And later when he was in Government.

In fact, I have a letter on my wall in my office congratulating me becoming a Canadian in 1977. Something I treasure.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:23 am

please tot, not the lord's name in vain.

I will pray for you both....and for lil davina.. or was that elvira
butch
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Radio News