A suggestion

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:56 am

johnsykes wrote:I have a problem with Terry Moore.

John -

If this problem has anything to do with that package of Terry's Terrific Turkey Stuffing that's been mouldering away in a dark corner of your freezer, don't blame him.

The sell-by date on that stuff expired in August, 1977.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:38 pm

Speaking of large egos...Terry Moore makes TDM seem humble. I remember having the misfortune of being a board op when he was on OR. He was the most miserable, demanding SOB I ever had to sit across the glass from. He'd always call for a break just as I was leaving the control room to get a soda or go for a whizz. I'd have to make a make a frantic dive for the cart machine button to avoid dead air while Terry yucked it up. All the other talkshow hosts would just use the line numbers to put callers on the air but that wasn't good enough for Terry. I had to write the first name of the callers on a piece of paper and put it on the glass for him. Mind you I got even with him by adjusting my screening technique to make sure every drunk and whacko got on the air. I especially enjoyed the alcoholic housewives calling up for one of Terrys "household hints" like how to get snot off a suede jacket. Mind you Terry was a picnic compared to hauling my sorry butt into the station early Sunday morning to op Bernice Gerard. The basement was filled with bible thumping old biddies manning the "confidential lines". I don't think they were impressed with my slovenly appearance or my poor attitude. I managed to clear them out of the control room by blasting Dr. Hooks "Sharing the Night Together" which resulted in a complaint to management.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:51 pm

A treasured copy of Terry Moore's book of household hints, Toothpaste and Peanut Butter sits in a prime location on my bookshelf.

On those lonely winter evenings when there's nothing else to do, I enjoy thumbing through it and randomly tearing out pages to feed the raging fire glowing cheerily in my hearth.

A wonderful book.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:59 pm

I cannot speak directly to TDM's ego, having never met him face-to-face, but, for more than a decade now, he has had what others on the station refer to as CKUA's most popular program, Mulligan Stew. I think Popular means "most quickly sponsored by donors" during Pledge Drives.

He comes across on his CKUA shows as very listener-centric.

skyvalleyradio wrote:John Runge (my FIRST choice!)

I, too, always liked John Runge's on-air approach. Sadly, he passed away at too young an age, and wasted his years after Vancouver in Edmonton as off-air Operations Manager at CKUA, rather than on-air where he belonged.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:31 pm

tuned wrote:The basement was filled with bible thumping old biddies manning the "confidential lines".?

Inez Merkle?

Professor Wormbrandt?

I remember them well.

Perhaps radiowest's illustrious Mr. Sys would like to share a few stories about the crank calls he used to place on a depressingly regular basis to Ms. Gerard and her posse?
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:47 pm

were u thinking of velma chapman as one of Bernice's stalwarts
butch
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:55 pm

The same picture snapping posse that went down to Wreck Beach to protest the nudity. Because I did my job so poorly management removed me from Mr. Gerards show. It's the same technique I employ with the Mrs to get out of various chump jobs around the house.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:06 pm

I phoned the prayer line quite a few years ago, and asked if it was true
Bernice Gerard was secretly a man, (highly plausible). Alas, that failed to
amuse them either. :blink:
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:46 pm

jonedmonton wrote:
skyvalleyradio wrote:John Runge (my FIRST choice!)

I, too, always liked John Runge's on-air approach. Sadly, he passed away at too young an age, and wasted his years after Vancouver in Edmonton as off-air Operations Manager at CKUA, rather than on-air where he belonged.

Not only did John have a nice, relaxed and informative style while on air at LG-FM, he was the MD there during his tenure & demonstrated what incredible knowledge he had of a vast range of musical genres - rock, jazz, folk, R&B, blues...even classical! LG-FM had a good-sized library and John gave the jocks a pretty loose hand in track selections during their shows. Sadly, he passed away all too quickly, but gets the #1 spot on my choice for the broadcaster hall-of-fame: John Runge to me represents the exact opposite of today's corporate-crap-lowest-common-denominator radio!
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:27 pm

OK I have been challenged. I hate this. I was at the Don Wall reception at the PNE years ago...think it had to do with his retirement. You have to remember, I worked for Don in Montreal at CKGM in the 60's, as well as at CJOR. Don, to me, was like a boss should be. I reveared the man.

At his reception, within the first few minutes I was there, Terry Moore was asking Garner Causey if there was some good stuff around for him to buy...like grass, I presume. I have never touched the crap and defy anone else to claim they are clean too. If I have a few beers, sure I could be high......at least I know I have devoured a legal product. So, don't give me the gears on that.

Moore never ever again gained my support. Yap, yap.....and yap some Moore.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:35 pm

John Runge, with Bill Coull, invented that mix in the early '60s at CKUA. I've always creditted John's LG-FM shows as making me familiar with every early '50s pre-rock "R&R roots" song on a well-known early '50s aircheck of Dewey Phillips. I've always termed that mix of all those genres Underground, as I've heard airchecks of college stations and other late '60s FM stations do the same thing. After all these years, I'm no longer sure exactly what Tim Burge and others heard when they went to San Francisco in 1967 -- did KSAN and others play that wide a mix of genres, or pretty much stick to album cuts off popular "rock" albums, which became known as "Progressive Rock", even when it included Paul Butterfield?

I got to talk shop with John in the early '80s when I worked for then-CKUA parent, Access Alberta. He was the same in person as he was on the air -- extremely well-educated musically. In our last conversation, he spoke about "Africa" by Toto, a current hit that his daughter listened to, and how it used very old traditional African musical elements.

Just before Bill Coull retired a few years back, he commented to me how much he missed John.

By the way, I phoned John one day on CKLG-FM, requesting a cut from an album and by a Boston group (Ford Theatre) I'd never heard on the station. He knew what I was talking about, played it immediately, and commented on-air how he had to spend more time listening to the album.

When I spoke to John in the '80s, he told me how the LG-FM record library came into being. He just pulled stuff (LPs) off the shelves of wherever it was that LG got their records for airplay. Numbering into the thousands. And he knew it all.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:52 am

johnsykes wrote:Terry Moore was asking Garner Causey if there was some good stuff around for him to buy...like  grass, I presume.  I have never touched the crap and defy anone else to claim they are clean too.

I so claim. So nyah, nyah, nayh!

A cold beer is just fine for me. As Monakitty will tell you, work at Meadowbrook 5 long enough, and it'll drive you to drink. Especially if you need something in the control room fixed right away and are waiting for Arnie to show up.

This thread's reminded me of the cube in the control room at the Grosvenor the ops held up to let the talk show hosts know what line to answer. It moved to the new building and Pat Burns refused to work with anything else. He would not look at the computer screen to tell him what line to answer - he needed to look at the cube. Someone grabbed the cube when CJOR turned into CHRX; Phil Kushnir might remember who has it now.

Bernice, I think, is still on KARI. Last time I stumbled across her show, she was using the old tape of either John Wilson or Al Jordan doing her intros/extros.

I await Dan Sys to weigh in on Action Line.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Radio News