A suggestion

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby jon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:53 am

Before we leave CKLG-FM as a home of "greats", I should mention Bob Ness, who was my favourite announcer after John Runge left. JB Shane (dunno if he was Shayne yet) was great, too, but you couldn't beat Ness for his ability to project his knowledge of the music he was playing.

John Runge later told me that Bob took a Nixon ("draft dodger") amnesty package and painted runways in Arizona for the Air Force for 6 months and then was a free man in the U.S.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:53 pm

jonedmonton wrote: I've always termed that mix of all those genres Underground, as I've heard airchecks of college stations and other late '60s FM stations do the same thing. After all these years, I'm no longer sure exactly what Tim Burge and others heard when they went to San Francisco in 1967 -- did KSAN and others play that wide a mix of genres, or pretty much stick to album cuts off popular "rock" albums, which became known as "Progressive Rock", even when it included Paul Butterfield?

Joe - as a young teen I was in SF on a family vacation the summer of 1967 & KSAN hadn't yet launched its "underground" format. KMPX-FM under the guidance of Big Tom Donahue was the first to launch the format (or lack of one!) & I got to hear it for myself that summer. The music played was everything under the sun & they must have had a live performance area in the station, because I distinctly remember SF jazz guitarist Gabor Szabo playing live on the station one evening. I also remember one of the DJs explaining that they had a new tape of Big Brother & the Holding Co at KMPX which he promptly played. The first time in my life that I heard Miles Davis was on KMPX. I also remembered a promo for an upcoming live gig at the station by Moby Grape. The rest of the SF FM dial that summer was pretty much classical, EZ listening and jazz.
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:05 pm

jonedmonton wrote: Before we leave CKLG-FM as a home of "greats", I should mention Bob Ness, who was my favourite announcer after John Runge left. JB Shane (dunno if he was Shayne yet) was great, too, but you couldn't beat Ness for his ability to project his knowledge of the music he was playing.

John Runge later told me that Bob took a Nixon ("draft dodger") amnesty package and painted runways in Arizona for the Air Force for 6 months and then was a free man in the U.S.

Bob Ness was truly unique amongst the LG-FM jocks! I remember his Sunday morning shows where he'd interject his own poetry & writings amongst the truly eclectic mix of music and there were times he was obviously under the influence of LSD while on air because he actually talked about it in between records. I've heard the story from several sources about his return to the US under the draft amnesty program.

Before we leave LG-FM there's one other player I want to toast: Bill Reiter & his "Groove 'N' Blue" show. I would love to thank Bill personally for turning me on to Jazz/R&B/blues/African & world music as a young teen and my own little hobby Internet station reflects this influence. I have followed Bill around the dial all these years: LG-FM, later CBC & then his later world-beat shows on CJVB,CHMB & CITR. Bill calls his mix "New World African Music" (my own definition of this mix is my station slogan which is part of my signature below!) Like John Runge & Bob Ness, Bill is a true musical visionary who contributed to LG-FMs success & sound and deserves a nomination for the BC broadcaster Hall Of Fame for daring to be different
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to General Radio News