A suggestion

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby johnsykes » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm

Here we are with a wonderful chat board. I have a suggestion for all of us to consider.

How about beginning a B.C. Radio Hall of Fame.......and for Pete's sake, even a B.C .Radio Hall of Shame.

I'd like to suggest that our Administrator, Pluto and yes, even Top Dog handle the nominations from us members, maybe once a month....say two or three nominees a month until a time that we all feel has caught up with numbers, etc. My suggestion would be that no one is elected until at least five members have approved a nomination and then the executive committee would have the right to say yea or nay.

What say you all? There are so many great names out there....maybe the fact that nominations are being made will encourage others to join in this site.

Just a suggestion.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:33 pm

Oh sure, Tottie....nice going.....the thing that ticks me off more than anything? I thought he had something positive going for him when he was at Hugh Boyd Senior High School. I donated my pentium 75 computer and monitor to the school for their radio station. And he turns out like this on PSR?????

Very saddened!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:23 pm

johnsykes wrote:
How about beginning a B.C. Radio Hall of Fame

Doesn't www.bcradiohistory.com cover the late and great ?
PMC

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:26 am

Thanks PMC for the plug

good suggestion John but I would ask that you go
over the idea this way:

5-10 people per station to start with as the heavyweights
not excluding CBC as we (I) often do

think in generations or decades eg

40's 50's Waters and Diespecker

60's 70's Burns and Robinson

80's 90's Frosty and Latrimo (survivors)

or best sports, best dj, best talk show, best women, best generalist

that or try making a list of the ten most important with your best picks
in order. I am hard pressed to chose between Bill Good Sr.
and Jim Robson - each a great radio guy with something different
to give.

and lets not forget the MEE award for least time in Langley radio
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:47 am

all time best on radio

burns and webster
JP, Robson, Boyd, Bill Good Sr. and Leo Nicholson
Forst, Hennessey and Burlingham
Barker, Ashbridge and Garrett
MacFarlane, Hutton and Honey
Bannerman and Mair
Callaghan and Davis
Cullen, Robinson and McCormick
Al Jordan and Bill Hughes

special mention Wilf Ray, Steve Woodman, JB Shayne

three more for thirty: Diespecker, Waters, Foisey

I have tried to include all of the old stations
included news, sports, rock and talk

No one on this list was on the air less than 20-30 years
in this market. There are some exceptions
and those exceptions are due to star quality

I will admit that most are from NW with the next
being OR, WX, LG, FUN etc in declining order
many are DJ's that worked the field

This is my view - over to you

I love lists - so your thoughts are important
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 pm

had an interesting chat tonite re my list - I hoping the chatter will get to some deletions and additions.

what I did find out is that we are very subjective on who we think is important...as we live in our own reality

for instance - my list of sports guys include bill good sr and JP McConnell big voices I associated with WX that I had heard since the late sixties. In fact I heard tapes of Good while in the interior that used to shock me on the signal strength.

I didnt know big Al until I got to NW and thought he was just a big mouth and not much
of a sports writer. I found out about his gentle side later.

My list is based on respect of what these people brought to radio. I left Al off my list
and did get a reaction by leaving him off.

The guy who started this thread has not commented. John who is on your list?

I am looking for people I missed.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:51 pm

Davidson should definately be on the list ... for close to 30 years he was the best know sports reporter in the city.

Rather than Frank Callaghan, Sam Holman should be given credit for bringing Top 40 music to CKLG. Prior to CKLG, Holman had programmed several US powerhouse stations including KQV in Pittsburgh, WLS Chicago, WABC New York and WKNR in Detroit. After Vancouver, he headed south to KISN in Portland.

Stevie Wonder [Grossman] should be given credit for being one of the original screamers on Vancouver radio. He started on air at CKLG when he was 17 in the fall of 1966 while he was in attending grade 12 classes at Kitsalino High.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:15 pm

I have to tell you. As a kid who was shuffled back and forth between the cities of Calgary and Vancouver in the mid to later 70's, and shuffled between parents as a kid in those respective cities, I think it's great that someone pay tribute to those that inspired me, or anyone else. Any night in Calgary, I could tune my clock radio to 1410 and listen to CFUN from Calgary. On those rare occasions, when I'd be in Vancouver, I'd re-discover LG. (Couldn't really get them at night much like you could CFUN...but could sometimes)
Tom "The Lou-ker" Lucas, Hollywood and Vine, Gord Robson, Racoon, Mick Lovzit, Rita Woodman, Fred L, Doc Harris, etc. Those are the people that inspired me. They were the Gods. My second job was in Chilliwack, at CHWK. Close enough to hear these guys all the time. "WEST COAST WEATHER" gave me a woody evertime I heard it. My third job was in Nanaimo, and tuning in to LG73 for "Bathtub race coverage" was the coolest. I'm rambling. My point is, we DO need to pay tribute to these wonderful, and inspirational people, before all becomes forgotten in what seems to sadly be, a fading industry. And sorry for rambling. I'm on vacation, and found a new discount beer.
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:07 am

johnsykes wrote: Here we are with a wonderful chat board. I have a suggestion for all of us to consider.

How about beginning a B.C. Radio Hall of Fame.......and for Pete's sake, even a B.C .Radio Hall of Shame.

John, I think the Hall of Shame would be easy. Go back through a bunch of posts here :)

Hall of Fame? I'm surprised to see Jack Webster's name omitted.

If you're going back, back, back, what about Earle Kelly? Seems to me the anniversary of his death wasn't too many days ago. Add him to the 'early bunch list' with Dick Diespecker and Leo Nicholson.

Many of the others mentioned here are no-brainers; people like Jack Cullen and Pat Burns and Red Robinson and Jim Robson and Warren Barker. Yes to Al Davidson - for years, people would tune in to hear what he had to say. There have been third-rate imitations of him in this market, but there's only one Big Al.

J.B. Shayne was, argueably, the most creative jock in Vancouver radio.

Monty and the Pappy and the Big Daddy are personal favourites of mine (there's only one Big Daddy and it's not some sportsguy trying to squeeze into leather pants).

T. Dog mentioned women. Nina Anthony would be the pioneer.

There are so many talented people whose names I've seen mentioned, it'd be really hard to pick a small list out of all of them. I was fortunate to work with and learn from some of them.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:20 am

thanks guys for your input - need more tho

the addition of nina anthony and big al are appreciated.

webster is in the original list next to burns - just not in lights

the item on rockers is great mona - I am checking to see if I have
bios on all/some of them - never heard of lovzit and rita won't go down in history
as a main player but could go in the women's category - i think her brother
outflanked her but no one compares to steve senior (miss juggs in particular)
anyone with a tape of steve please give it to radiofan)

cartie is right - just having the opportunity to work with some of the greats
is enough to give you a woodie at night - lol

once we get a few more names I will rearrange the list to reflect
decades and generations

no one has mentioned TDM or TMB?

or great production guys - houle?

best individual owner
best manager
best salesman
best promotions
best corporate owner
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:13 am

radiofan wrote:Rather than Frank Callaghan, Sam Holman should be given credit for bringing Top 40 music to CKLG. Prior to CKLG, Holman had programmed several US powerhouse stations including KQV in Pittsburgh, WLS Chicago, WABC New York and WKNR in Detroit. After Vancouver, he headed south to KISN in Portland.

Sam Holman deserves the credit for CKLG-AMs initial Top 40 sucess, but Frank Callaghan deserves credit for introducing the free-form progressive rock format on CKLG-FM after travelling to San Fransisco to check out their first FM rocker KMPX. Inital format change consisted of Bill Reiter's excellent "Groove 'n' Blue" show which introduced Bill's mix of R&B/jazz/African music to Vancouver listeners in early 1968. At first, LG-FM's easy listening format remained throughout the rest of the day, but by summer free-form radio was full-time on 99.3. Frank was also one of the initial forces behind the debut & success of CJJR "JR Country" which finally brought a modern country format to FM - a format that hadn't been heard on FM since CFMI's debut in 1970 with a short-lived country/rock format
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:22 am

here are my nominees for Vancouver's best air personalities & I'm sure this reflects my rather eclectic tastes:

Jack Cullen, Monty McFarlane, "Real Roy" Hennessey, Bill Reiter, John Runge (my FIRST choice!) J B Shane, John Tanner, Darryl Burlingham, Buddy Clyde, Red Robinson, Frosty Forst, Fred Latrimouille, Sam Holman, Brian Arnold, Frank Callaghan, Bill Phillips, Nick Sands, Rick Honey, Maurice Foisy, Jack Kyle & Jim Fraser
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:59 am

TDM??? Does anyone think he's a legend any more than he does himself??
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Next

Return to General Radio News