Clear Channel to Vacuum Up More Radio Stations

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:44 am

I see that Clear Channel is considering filing a formal petition with the FCC seeking to raise the caps limiting how many stations one company can own in the largest U.S. markets.

Current rules state that a company may own no more than eight radio staions in the largest U.S. markets, and it appears that Clear Channel will attempt to try and get approval from the FCC to own 10 stations in markets with 60 radio stations and 12 radio outlets in the largest U.S. markets that have 75 radio stations or more.

How sweet it is.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:42 pm

C'mon Pluto they are fighting a war! They are being attacked on all sides by the likes of ipods, satellite radio, illegal downloading etc. and their latest request is just a way to help out the good guys! Look at the great job they've done owning 8 stations in large markets! I'm sure their good buddy Shrub will help them out.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:24 pm

Of course you're right.

I forgot about satellite radio and those pesky iPods.

Those poor Clear Channel bastards are fighting for their very survival.

Let's all do what we can to help them.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:10 pm

After all, they are being very reasonable. Their argument seems to be that, because satellite radio has 150 stations in their market, their ownership cap should be set at 150 to ensure an even playing field. After all, those terrible satellite stations are taking unfair advantage of the competitive marketplace for listeners by not airing commercials on most of their stations, and actually airing some program content. All for the monthly sum of less than a New York City Starbucks coffee.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:27 pm

While they're at it, I think Clear Channel should be allowed to increase the % of Corus that they own. :angry:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:37 pm

I don't get it...why do we care about what's happening below the border...it won't happen here for another thirty years anyway...it takes that long to catch up, or fall behind.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News