"On The Air" in New West on September 7

"On The Air" in New West on September 7

Postby radiofan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Red Robinson, Rick Cluff and company bring "On The Air" to New Westminster September 7th

Red Robinson story and ticket info in New Westminster News Leader story http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/entert ... 96471.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: "On The Air" in New West on September 7

Postby radiofan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:22 am

Last night's show at The Columbia Theatre in New Westminster was a sell out. Red, Rck and everyone connected with the show thank you for making it a success.

Your next chance to catch ON THE AIR will again be at The Columbia Theatre ... it's be The On The Air Christmas Show ,,, December 1st. More details as they become available.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks to RadioFan and a lot of the RadioWest regulars for coming out to "On The Air" last night.
The crowd was amazing, and the show was stellar.
Red Robinson and Rick Cliff were perfect hosts - and the Columbia Theatre, in New Westminster, all refurbished and sparkling is a wonderful venue. Thanks to the Staff of the theatre - and crew - they were stellar! See You for the Christmas Show!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:46 pm

At the risk of getting a bit off topic: concerning the Columbia Theatre.

Does anyone remember for sure? Was it just "one thin dime" for kids admission at the end of the 1950s? Then, you could stay as long as you wanted.

Even as a kid, I seem to recall noticing just how lousy the sound system was back then. Projection of the video seemed OK though.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 pm

hagopian wrote:Red Robinson and Rick Cliff were perfect hosts !

Mr. Cluff fell off a cliff?

( ..and yes I make spellin' misteaks :violent1: )
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Unbelievable. Sorry, MR. CLUFF. I will use my glasses next time. :oops:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm

jon wrote:At the risk of getting a bit off topic: concerning the Columbia Theatre.

Does anyone remember for sure? Was it just "one thin dime" for kids admission at the end of the 1950s? Then, you could stay as long as you wanted.

Even as a kid, I seem to recall noticing just how lousy the sound system was back then. Projection of the video seemed OK though.

A dime seems about right Jon. I saw many a Disney movie and got hooked on 3 Stooges shorts at the good ole Columbia! By the early 60s I think it was .20 or .25 cents for the Saturday afternoon
matinee. Saturday's were usually lunch at The Met, Woolworth's or Kresge's .. usually about 30 cents for a burger, fries and a pop. After the movie, pop into Eaton's where they had bulk chocolate
at the Candy Counter .. you could get 8 Kit Kit fingers for a dime, as opposed to 4 fingers in a wrapped bar! Right in front of The Columbia was the bus stop for the bus home. A great day for under
a buck! To my ears the sound was fine. The shunting of boxcars on the tracks behind the theatre was annoying tho!
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Hendu » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:09 am

Had the great pleasure of working a bit w/Cluffer @ CBC Radio. Super guy!!!
Met 'Red' once when I was really young -- and yes, that was a long, long time ago.
Seemed like the great guy he always was/is on the radio!!
And of course listened whenever I could as a kid growing up in ("stuck in the middle of the mountains") Revelstoke, B.C.
Hendu

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Greetings,
Interesting event, wish I had been there!!! Radiofan and Jon thanks for the memories of Columbia Street in New West. (my place of birth). Always have liked New West. in a kind of nostalgic way. Interesting history to the city. Yes the Columbia Theatre, I am sure we saw a few movies there over the years. My parents took my sister and I there to see Old Yeller years ago, hardly remember that because I was so young but I remember liking the theater even then. Kind of a new experience for us because we had not gone out to many movies when we were very young. I think my parents had previously taken us to the odd Drive-In Movie before that. I will have to mention this to my sister, see if she has any memories of the Theater. The other thing is the Met., Kresges and Woolworths. I really used to look forward to going there when I was a kid, so did my sister. My Mom and aunts went there quite frequently and we got a lot of goodies there, so did my cousin Lily! She remembers those trips. I remember everything was so low cost compared to today. You are right radiofan its amazing how much you could get for under a dollar! Great memories. Yeah I remember Eatons in downtown New West. where Army and Navy dept. stores is now. They did indeed have quite a candy and chocolate selection!!! When you look at what chocolate bars cost today compared to back then it really is amazing. Besides the Columbia Theater I think New West. downtown had several other movie theaters too, maybe one was the Odeon Theater. I seem to recall seeing seeing a few movies there. Back around 1969 or 1970 I remember taking a long hike with my childhood friend Bill Ashby as we walked from North Surrey (where we lived) over the Patullo Bridge to see a movie at either the Columbia Theater or one of the other ones on Columbia Street. I think it was a western (something like Devils 8 or smilar) movie. I remember Bill and I really enjoyed it. One of the first time I had ever walked over the Patullo Bridge to New West. which I thought was pretty challenging and somewhat fearful of doing when I was a kid!!! Interesting hike. however we took transit bus back to Surrey since it was getting late when we left New West. after having dinner downtown. My grandmother lived in Sapperton for many years and my Aunt has lived in New West. for years so both of them shopped regularly at The Met and Kresges.. Back in those days those stores seemed to have a much better selection of items compared to some stores today and most of the time they seemed to be well stocked.

By the way is this the first time Red and the others have had the event at the Columbia Theater. Please keep us posted radiofan as to when the next ones are on. Sounds like a great thing to attend! By the way folks one of the main reasons I got into collecting radio station music surveys in 1967 was because of a store on Columbia Street in downtown New West. Before 1967, possibly early 1966 I started seeing radio station music charts at Kellys Records and Hi-Fi store on Columbia Street. I had started buying 45 rpm records there around that time. I was absolutely amazed at the really nice selection of radio station music charts displayed on the wall near the cashiers at Kellys. Since I was getting interested in radio dxing at the time this really added to my radio station interest. Anyway I got the CKLG charts there and really wanted to get other station charts that I saw displayed so wondered how to get them. I finally started writing to stations after talking to Jon on the phone in Burnaby and asking him about this. Jon had told me about a friend of his whom I had not yet met who was writing to stations for charts. Perhaps about a year or so later I met the person who was doing this. It was none other than radiofan (Ted) and so it was actually radiofan and Kellys that got me interested in radio station music survey collecting which I still do to this day! I am sure glad radiofan did that for Kellys and spent time in downtown New West back in those days! Great memories and thanks again for mentioning all this radiofan and Jon!

Take care everyone, hope the September season has started out great for you!

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I worked at Kelly's on Columbia, in 1972.

The other night, while attending "On The Air" - at the Columbia - I realized I had not seen the area in 41 years. I walked over to what used to be the old store. It was a real memory maker for me. Funny, how things like that can affect your psyche.

I have always had a soft spot for the Royal City.

Delights me to know that many here, visited and collected. Ahhh, the memories are strong of a part of my life, that I treasure.

RadioFan used to get charts from us. He has an amazing collection of vinyl, too.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca