Real Names

Real Names

Postby jon » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:03 pm

glaherty wrote:I didn't realize posting your real name would pose any problem....

I didn't either, as I assumed that public figures normally did not have a listing in the phone book.

But it brings up a closely related point. I think it is important that we protect the privacy of our members. If they prefer to post with a "handle", rather than their on-air or birth name, having another member reveal their name violates that privacy. And could easily scare them off, and a lot of others from joining and/or posting.

In these days of head office "Corporate Communications" (the PR folks) trying so hard to control corporate image, there can be hell to pay were they to become aware of an employee "speaking" in a public forum such as RadioWest, on the grounds that they be seen as speaking for the corporation.

All of this is my personal opinion (I'm not a Moderator). But I want to suggest that, by violating the trust -- in this case, the privacy -- of another member, any one member can scare off a lot of people from posting on this board.

By the way, editting or deleting a post "after the fact" may not be "good enough", as Google, Archive.org and other popular Internet tools capture material pretty quickly, and some make the deleted material available FOREVER.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:13 pm

The problem comes when people have used "on air" names their whole career and very few people, except those in HR and payroll, know their real ones. Sometimes thru working with someone, you may get to know that they are not in fact, "Joe Blow".... but just because YOU know that, doesn't mean you get to go blabbing it to everyone you know. (And I'm not suggesting that's what happened here) Having an unlisted number is one thing, but having an unlisted name is another one. I think its only fair to use the name that they use.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca