RadioWest.ca's New Look

Re: RadioWest.ca's New Look

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:35 pm

jon you will have to help the old man change the design.

its getting harder for him to get the beetle down to the A & W for a burger and fries let alone doing
technical work.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:01 pm

He's younger than I am. We first met at a Hobby Show at Armstrong Elementary School in Burnaby when I was in Grade 7 and he was in Grade 6. I was showing off my radio and QSL cards, and possibly promo material like coverage maps, record charts and stickers. He was already interested in Radio, and had missed the Popular Electronics article by C.M. Stanbury that opened my eyes to the possibility of QSL cards for Medium Wave DX.
jon
Advanced Member

New Hosting

Postby jon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:38 am

While we await News of our request for hosting on the aforementioned non-profit radio site, I used some of the time as I did when I worked to try and determine the best Plan B. Admittedly, we already had a Plan B in mind -- find someone else we trust with a web server of their own -- but I've now found what appears to be a better one.

ICDSOFT.com really doesn't have any bad reviews that I could find while Googling, and digging deep into the review web sites identified. There might have been one where a guy complained that his domain name expired after he cancelled his account with them. Not sure what he expected. I was especially impressed with the quality of expertise in their Support staff and the ability of those folks to communicate one-on-one to customers experiencing problems. Uptime (reliability) was also very good, from everything I could see.

Only thing I'll miss is cPanel, which I only found out yesterday is a fairly costly piece of Proprietary software. These folks offer an alternative. I tested the demo and it seemed to lack the processor workload monitoring that I have been doing in the past.

I currently have an inquiry into them, making sure they allow the technique I presently use to make Parked Domains into real live web sites.

Concept would be to be hosted on their U.S. servers in Boston. Details on their U.S. hosting plans are here: http://www.icdsoft.com/hosting.php

If you stumble on to anything about this company, I'd appreciate hearing about it, by PM, e-mail or as a response to this thread.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:10 am

Jon and TW :love9: - has someone being playing with the smilies and the BB Code?

this was the problem :sad4: that I had with the picture and could not find a place to turn it on
and the smilies sidebar had gone

the board says :read2: this is somethng only the adm :sign3: can do

I see it is back on

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

:cheers: customers
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:16 am

Someone's got far too much time on his hands! :idea:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

BBCodes and Smilies

Postby jon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 am

BBCodes and Smilies can be turned on or off at several levels. Yes, it is true that they can be disabled for everyone by Admins. But they've been on since the moment this new version of the board went live.

There are a number of options in each person's profile concerning BBCodes, Smilies and Images. Most can be set by you. A few can only be set by an Admin. I'm not aware of anyone who has their's turned off.

Finally, there is an area just below the "Post a Reply" box whenever you Reply called Options. Two boxes there are Disable BBCodes and Smilies. Nothing about Images there.

I'm still seeing unhealthy levels of web server errors, which could explain a "one off" problem like this, if it were caused by a "partial rendering" of a web page (i.e. - only part of the web page's "code" sent to your computer), though my personal best guess is that the "cursor jump" problem several have reported could have seen TD accidentally set some of the Options boxes on.

I have been concentrating my efforts on getting us moved, so haven't had a chance to research the problem, but the Cursor Jump problem will see you happily typing away when suddenly you find yourself in another box on the same page. So far, I've only heard about it occuring while typing the Subject, and the cursor suddenly moves into the Text box, and half your title gets typed as the text of the Post.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:31 am

Yes jon I had the cursor jump :read2:

I also see options given when writing a post but then sometimes cannot find it to explain it.

Howaboutthat - you obviously have too much time on your hands :twisted:

jon I was communicating with you and TW on the picture problem which has been rectified and the smilies :occasion7: are
back - my new toy

Keep up the good work :sign7: but watching the new format in its infancy is good. I like the board I just think it needs a bit
of time to settle down and everyone settles into a grind.

I notice we have a delete :cheers: button - the last one did not.

Jack
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Web Hosting

Postby jon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 pm

I signed up with ICDSoft and did quite a bit of work there. They really run a great service, but it would be too costly for our use, as one account is required for each Web site. Adding it all up, we'd be paying at least 10 times what we are now.

Having heard so much about Cloud Computing in the last week, I thoroughly checked it out, and concluded that the technology is still in the Immature Unreliable stage that occurs when new technology is first introduced. Amazon seems the farthest advanced in the Web hosting arena, but had a disasterous 8 hour failure last July. And, like ICDSoft, our costs would be about 10 times what we are paying now.

I have spent a lot of time looking at alternatives, and finally stumbled on a web site that has been testing web hosting companies for several years, checking if they are functioning every 10 minutes 24/7. I went through the most reliable sites in order, and have signed up with one that looks promising (good business model, one account for all our web sites, affordable), after checking for bad reviews. I'll begin with some of our smaller web sites tomorrow morning, and later work my way through those that use databases, to try and flesh out any problems first, before attempting to move this site over.

Lots of work still ahead.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Host Pappa?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby OpenMike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:49 am

Am I wrong or has this board taken a quantum leap since it changed board formats

The interest level seems to be up - even the Traffic Girls are back --- Sarah??

We have more sweater girls on this board than the other do we not?

Keep up the good work
Geo Custer - "There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the 7th Cavalry"
OpenMike
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:21 pm

OpenMike wrote:Am I wrong or has this board taken a quantum leap since it changed board formats

The interest level seems to be up

Quantity doesn't equal quality.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 pm

cArtie... on the old board you would post very old newspaper articles about radio in Vancouver. Really enjoyed the work you did transcribing and filing them...and of course, reading. Are you still doing it here? Is in in a certain thread?
Thanks!
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 am

Howaboutthat wrote:cArtie... on the old board you would post very old newspaper articles about radio in Vancouver. Really enjoyed the work you did transcribing and filing them...and of course, reading. Are you still doing it here? Is in in a certain thread?
Thanks!

Hi, HAT. I was running into the Province articles when I was doing research on some post-war local baseball stuff. That research has finally come to an end so I don't expect to be going through any more of Dick Diespecker's columns.

Eventually, I'll be doing pre-war stuff, but the local papers really don't have anything other than programme listings and highlights of U.S. network shows.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:49 am

cart_machine wrote:
Howaboutthat wrote:cArtie... on the old board you would post very old newspaper articles about radio in Vancouver. Really enjoyed the work you did transcribing and filing them...and of course, reading. Are you still doing it here? Is in in a certain thread?
Thanks!

Hi, HAT. I was running into the Province articles when I was doing research on some post-war local baseball stuff. That research has finally come to an end so I don't expect to be going through any more of Dick Diespecker's columns.

Eventually, I'll be doing pre-war stuff, but the local papers really don't have anything other than programme listings and highlights of U.S. network shows.

cArtie.

Hmm....Post war local baseball stuff? Research? Sounds like someone is writing a book? Book deal in the making Cart_machine? When does it hit the shelves? Batter up I say!
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:19 am

mightymouth wrote:
cart_machine wrote:
Thanks!

cArtie.

Hmm....Post war local baseball stuff? Research? Sounds like someone is writing a book? Book deal in the making Cart_machine? When does it hit the shelves? Batter up I say!

If that's so, I'd buy it. cArtie's one of the best writers around!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca