RadioWest.ca's New Look

Re: RadioWest.ca's New Look

Postby yee-haw » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:23 am

Not if you judge by the activity on this board :!: Hope he uses spellcheck :wink:
yee-haw
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:27 pm

mightymouth wrote: Hmm....Post war local baseball stuff? Research? Sounds like someone is writing a book? Book deal in the making Cart_machine? When does it hit the shelves? Batter up I say!

Afraid not, Mr. Mouth. Too much work to do a proper job. Trying to track down people for interviews. Decades of microfilm to churn through. Then there's the problem of getting photo rights. Oh, and writing it. To be honest, I don't think there's enough interest to make such a book commercially viable. Who's going to rush out to read a chapter about Joe Sugden?

Mr. Byth is too kind about my writing abilities. I don't read enough to write well. And there are very few opportunities for me to do any writing at all, even of that arcane variety known as news writing. I spend more time playing "Guess what the dropped word is" and reworking pallid mounds of clichés and redundancies.

I enjoy clever writing that's not superficial. I also like stories that are silly or ironic, though I've encountered people over the years who remind me they prefer something else.

c. Arthur Machine
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:33 pm

Russ_Byth wrote: If that's so, I'd buy it. cArtie's one of the best writers around!

If I write it, can I put you down for one copy of The Wayne Cox Story ?

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:39 pm

cart_machine wrote:
Russ_Byth wrote: If that's so, I'd buy it. cArtie's one of the best writers around!

cArtie

Hah! Yes, Wayne's a good friend, but I think he'd be the first to tell you it'd be more like the Wayne Cox Pamphlet.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:18 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:
cart_machine wrote:

Hah! Yes, Wayne's a good friend, but I think he'd be the first to tell you it'd be more like the Wayne Cox Pamphlet.

The other day, we were wistfully reminiscing about CJOR and he was forlornly accepting the blame for 600 going dark.

"That's nothing," I reminded him. "You killed Fiesta, too."

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby segueking2 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:02 pm

I like the design, but wish we had more traffic here.

The guys behind the curtain work their face off.

Kudos to them, and I hope this labour of love pays off....

Cartie is a fav...cracks me up....
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:02 pm

cart_machine wrote:
Russ_Byth wrote:
cart_machine wrote:

The other day, we were wistfully reminiscing about CJOR and he was forlornly accepting the blame for 600 going dark.

"That's nothing," I reminded him. "You killed Fiesta, too."

cArtie.

I've never known you to be wistful about anything! I hate doing this because I'll never hear the end of it... actually it was Jack Webster who killed Fiesta. Cox and McCormick replaced Wally Garrett, who hosted Fiesta, but by that time Garrett was an operator of the Webster show that had taken over Garrett's Fiesta time slot.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:23 pm

Wally Garrett, now there's a name from the past! a: is he still alive b: is he related to the newsman George Garrett?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:38 pm

mightymouth wrote:Wally Garrett, now there's a name from the past! a: is he still alive b: is he related to the newsman George Garrett?

Or John Garrett or Mrs. Garrett...
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:46 pm

Or Brad Garrett (everybody loves Raymond)
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:03 pm

Wally died a few years ago and he was not related to George.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Any idea how old he might have been? I never heard it, but was told he had a great show for its time. a combination record show, game show, talk show, in the days of the soap operas on radio. I wonder if anyone has any audio of that show, or is it too far back for any recordings?
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Garrett must be a lot more common surname than you might expect. I recently heard a KOL aircheck from 1970 that had George Garrett doing News. And it was NOT the same George as on CKNW.

Back to the topic at hand: it has been a long process, but I think we are very close to finding a new home for this web site. As in: new web hosting company.

Preliminary tests show a four to ten times increase in available processing (as in "How fast are the processors?" and "How many processors are there?"). But mainly, I've been watching during my testing over the last 5 days, and the workload is much more stable. None of this 8 to 64 processors worth of work by the 2-4 processors available that we see at our current site.

I also like the fact that we will be back to an isolated environment for each web site, instead of all 23 web sites in the same "file space" as we currently have. It will also allow me to build a test environment for the discussion forum, and the WordPress pieces that I've written, like View Most Recent Posts, to reduce the risk of my testing impacting the "real" site.

I also like the Support staff that I've dealt with.

Today's task is to write yet another Move Plan, after testing showed that my previous one won't work thanks to weirdnesses of our current host's database environment.

Once I've caught my breath after the Move, then I'll be able to deal with the list of concerns with the new version of the phpBB discussion forum software.
jon
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca