BBCode

BBCode

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:32 pm

Could someone explain to me when I post a new topic, BBCode is activated, but when I reply to a post, it is not?

I've gone into my control panel and the settings seem to be OK.

cArtie.

P.S. This only seems to be a problem when I try to respond in Today in Broadcasting and Entertainment History. Is BBCode disabled for that particular part of the board?
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Re: BBCode

Postby jon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 pm

I've just re-created your problem, so you don't have to worry about repairman syndrome, where your appliance suddenly starts working as soon as the door bell rings and the service guy shows up.

I'll try and figure it out ASAP.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:53 pm

It is a Permissions problem that may have existed in the old version, too, but went unnoticed as most people used HTML instead. Which the new version disallows for security reasons.

I'll review each Forum tomorrow and correct the problem, as it may not be just Today in History. And I've already discovered some similar Permissions problems with Today in History.

Thanks for pointing it out.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 pm

jon wrote:It is a Permissions problem that may have existed in the old version, too, but went unnoticed as most people used HTML instead. Which the new version disallows for security reasons.

Sorry to be ignorant about this, Jon, but why does HTML pose a security risk?

I don't think I ever tried using it on the old board, other than to try different fonts and that didn't work so I gave up (I didn't check to see if a setting had to be activated). The only code I ended up writing into posts was colour but I see that's unnecessary with the new version as there's a wider selection. I was able to change font size using BBCode.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:05 am

Jon the 'cursor slip' is quite evident each time I try to start a new post

I think I will try putting the body in first and the Title last.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

HTML and Cursor Skip

Postby jon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:14 am

The "Security Risk" argument about HTML isn't mine. I haven't researched it, but my guess is that there have been significant cases of nasty people turning phpBB boards into malware delivery systems simply by inserting HTML into a post. Whatever the case, the phpBB project team made the decision to make HTML illegal in phpBB3 posts. As a result, I couldn't "turn on" HTML from any of the admin control panel screens, etc.

I like phpBB and the team behind it, but I was very annoyed that the team have taken such a cavalier attitude towards HTML. They offered no conversion tools for those of us with HTML in our phpBB2 posts. So, I spent 2 weeks of 14 hour days, 7 days a week, writing my own.

I do plan to hunt down the Cursor Skip problem, but I think we would all agree that the priority right now is to find a new home (web hosting service) given the present performance issues of this site.

I will make an exception for the BBCode is OFF problem, and should have it solved later this morning.
jon
Advanced Member

BBCodes, etc.

Postby jon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 am

I found five forums, including Today in History, that had Permissions disallowing BBCodes (and other things) in Posts.

They have all been fixed now.

Permissions in Version 2 of phpBB were a combination of a very basic supplied system and a commonly-used MOD. Version 3 built a Permissions System from scratch, adding a lot more options.

The Convertor we had to run to bring "everything" from Version 2 to Version 3 made some guesses about the values of these "new options". One was BBCodes allowed in posts. These five forums had another Permissions setting that the Convertor guessed meant people shouldn't reply with BBCodes. "Yeah, right".
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca