Waiting for the Red Phone to ring.

Waiting for the Red Phone to ring.

Postby BossRadio » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Ever done a bit...and as you realize what you've said (or done), began looking for your bosse's "Private Line" to light up? Talk about agony. Happened tonight.

Did a short today in history bit,tounge tastefully in cheekl -- concerning it being the day that "zippers" were originally invented as fasteners for gumboots or galoshes,before they became standard issue at the front of men's trousers..

Ended the bit, hit the next tune....and began to consider job options... as MIllie Small warbled: "My Boy Lollipop" .... and my inner 12 year old high fived me.

Thank God the boss goes to bed early: :>}

:sign6:
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Re: Waiting for the Red Phone to ring.

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:09 am

I remember the time a Pope died.
A news bulletin interrupted the music, the newsman did his bit and the jock came back with "I dreamed I was there in Teenage Heaven."
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:32 am

BossRadio wrote:Ever done a bit...and as you realize what you've said (or done), began looking for your bosse's "Private Line" to light up?

Don't managers know it's better to talk about problems the next day instead of interrupting one's space and the flow of their jock shift?

Frankly, boss, I don't get the connection between your bit and the song. Then again, I don't think it's among the many insipid things I ever played.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby flange » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 am

cartie......we called it "The Bat-Phone"
flange
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:01 pm

1050 Chum jocks feared the "bat phone" back in the '70's.
J. Robert Wood seemed never to sleep.
The thing could flash anytime during a 24 hour period.
The jocks thought they were safe when JRW was out of town.
Not so.
He had a special dial in number where he could listen to the station over the phone from anywhere in the world.
Dick Smyth was the same.
He used to carry the world's smallest transistor radio.
You'd get a call after almost every newscast with an instant critique or less often, praise.
He too would use the phone line to monitor when he was out of town.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Promotions Guy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 pm

As the kids say today "back in the day" when I was a young rookie learning the biz in Edson Alberta Canada (as we called it) line two was reserved for Program Director Chuck Benson. Anytime we screwed up, or did something stupid line two would start ringing INSTANTLY. We all swore Chuck was doing nothing but listening to the station. Anyway when line two would ring, we KNEW it was Chuck, Often the only thing we would hear on the phone was "you know what you did?" That was it until the next morning.

My worst was shortly after taking over the 9 to midnight shift, Chuck was listening and noticed that I was verbally pausing with AH. This time he didn't say much. Next morning when I arrived at the old CJYR studio, I was greeted with a trail of teletype paper that began on the street and ran all the way into the control room. It had my name on it and AH AH AH all the way to the control room. I never forgot that. I hated that line two. I stopped the verbal pausing too.
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca