Site Update plus Mad Mel Audio

A collection of promo items that keeps growing

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:35 pm

The VancouverTop Forty Radio website has just been updated. New additions include:

-CKLG 1965 - all surveys for that year are now complete and posted.

-C-FUN a'go-go 1965. All surveys for that year are now posted. The Index page has been newly designed. The a'go-go era jingles are still there plus more.

-Mad Mel Audio - the C-FUN 1965 Index page also includes a few brief and very rare audio clips from the Mad Mel program. Mel joined C-FUN during the Spring of 1965 and was with the station for a short, but memorable stay of about six months. Unlike the station's other DJs who were commonly known as "The Good Guys", Mel earned a spot as C-FUN's "Bad Guy." Few pictures of Mel have surfaced and when they do his features are hidden by huge glasses, or a long black false beard, sometimes both.

There are three audio clips. The first two are intros, one of them the famous "OK Mel, you can come out of your cage now. It's time to start the show." Thanks to Larry Morton for these.

The third clip is an all-too-brief piece provided by Alex Galbraith and edited together by Larry Morton from a number of shorter bits. In it Mel is broadcasting from the C-FUN studio, attempting to play his recent interview with Paul McCartney. But Mel is having problems queuing the interview and so calls upon his alter-ego "Granny Scoopshovel" to "get the machines" working. We hear a brief C-FUN jingle after which Granny, having solved the problem, begins playing the taped interview. We cut to a part of the interview, which takes place at an airport. As it turns out, Paul McCartney is actually interviewing Mad Mel! We also learn that it's Mel's birthday and he's just turned 19. Not much else is known of the circumstances surrounding this ocassion. As I said, the clip is brief and at present, is the only audio of Mad Mel in our possession. Hopefully, more will turn up.

UPCOMING PROJECTS:

Next in line is a project I've been looking forward to for several months. Recently I acquired a huge collection of CKWX audio from collector Jamie Anstey. Included are many jingles from the early sixties, along with promos for the station by stars as Bob Luman, Jimmie Rodgers, Buddy Knox, Johnny Burnette and more, along with additonal audio from other sources. All this plus a remake of the entire CKWX section. This is a big project and I can't say at this time whether I'll redo the whole CKWX section all at once or a bit of time. But hopefully I'll have something up on the site by this spring.

Other upcoming projects include:

-CKLG 1966
-CFUN 1966
-More Soundathon charts
-More Vancouver paintings by Bruce Stewart.

Incidently, some of you may have noticed that in my more recent efforts I've been attempting to make my retyped surveys bear more of a resemblance to the original distributed surveys, slight though that resemblance may be at times.

In the meantime, enjoy.

Jim
VancouverTop Forty Radio
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:19 pm

keep it up Jim

all the sites are lookin spiffy and each one getting better
every year with more and more content - its all about content.

thanks to

jim
red
gord
ted
brian
and lil ole TD
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby VancouverTopFortyRadio » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:45 am

Following the posting of my Update #11 yesterday, I have received, courtesy of Owen Coppin, an image of Mad Mel and the Beatles together. I've very quickly added this to the Mad Mel section, which is accessed from the CFUN 1965 Index page.

Jim
Vancouver Top Forty Radio
VancouverTopFortyRadio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:00 am

great photo - this pix can be found as well with other info on the australian tour at

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/gp5001.html
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Promo Items from Yesterday & Today