EKKO Radio Stamps

A collection of promo items that keeps growing

Postby jon » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:29 pm

There have been comments that it is a little quiet on RadioWest, so I thought I'd mention a site that fascinated our curator, RadioFan: http://www.radiotribute.com/ekko/

I finally got enough Web space to display my complete collection of EKKO stamp images. Before the EKKO company went broke just after the Depression began in 1929, millions of stamps were sold to listeners by radio stations, to verify their reception of the station.

Beware: some stations have reused old call letters since then. For example, KOMO and KJR swapped call letters in the '30s or '40s, so, theoretically, you would want a KOMO EKKO stamp to celebrate KJR, but I'd still rather than a KJR stamp. And there was a KFAB in Portland long before the call letters were reused in Omaha.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:05 pm

Wow, this is absolutely fantastic Jon! You must have spent many many hours surfing the net to put this all together. I'll be sending the link to some of the old time IRCA people that I still keep in touch with.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:29 am

Thanks, Dan. I've been capturing them, mostly from eBay, since about 2000. But, ironically, I've learned more about EKKO stamps in the last 2 months than I ever knew before. For whatever reason, a lot of great historical info is coming up on discussion forums and Web sites. For example, eBay just published a guide to EKKO stamps.

Funny, because as a '60s DX'er like you and Radiofan, I knew EKKO stamps existed, that they were from the '30s or '20s, but everyone said they were worthless because so many millions existed. Only EKKO-like stamp I ever got in those days was from KFI, which was still sending them out with their reception verification letters.

Back to my EKKO images, I made the decision early on not to spend the time required to edit or clean up the images, but merely to present them as they are, in as organized a manner as I could using automation. I chose instead to spend the time I had available building a Microsoft Access Visual Basic (VBA) routine to automatically build the three pieces: pics sorted by call letters, links sorted by call letters, and the same index page used for both those pages. Fortunately, I stuck with a naming convention for the image files right from the start, so was able to do the automation.

It was all really a follow on to my interest in the '90s in the concept of using computer databases, that may already exist in most businesses, as the source for Web pages that can be automatically kept up to date, without relying on Web site experts to hand update the HTML. In other words, automatically rebuild the Web pages from the database on a regular basis, rather than hand-update every time there is a change.

All that said, I wouldn't wish VBA coding on anyone. Hopefully, there are better tools around for this to work in Organizations of any size. And, of course, many Organizations use live database lookups, when you, for example, inquire on the status of your on-line order.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:39 am

jonedmonton wrote: There have been comments that it is a little quiet on RadioWest, so I thought I'd mention a site that fascinated our curator, RadioFan: http://www.radiotribute.com/ekko/

Joe - nice collection & great web page! thanks for sharing this with us!
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:48 pm

jonedmonton wrote: Only EKKO-like stamp I ever got in those days was from KFI, which was still sending them out with their reception verification letters.

Yes, nice site.

I, too, received a verification later from KFI back in the 60's with one of these stamps attached to it.

I stupidly peeled it off and - for some reason - stuck it onto the label of the Sly & The Family Stone 45, Dance To The Music.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Return to Promo Items from Yesterday & Today