CKNW 1955 PNE Parade

Bits and Pieces of BC Radio History

Re: CKNW 1955 PNE Parade

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:33 am

Back in '61 when I first started in radio at CKOV in Kelowna, we had a beautiful remote console on wheels that included a home made board, two turntables, two mikes, a PA system with those square EV Musicaster speakers and an Ampex 600 that was in the back of a van. It could be taken anywhere, unloaded at the remote location or left inside the van with programming sent back to the station by telephone line and later by a two way radio system.
We took records and a tape of the commercials on every remote. The entire setup was put together by Engineer Art Vipond and it ended its life as the production studio in Cranbrook. My first job was operating that setup on remotes, especially the summer Beach Party remotes with John Tanner from the Aquatic. We used that all over Kelowna for most of the '60s.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:01 pm

At CKPG, in 1970 - we used two McCurdy's and a simple four pot board - we would put it on a table. It was pitiful.

Remotes were mostly fighting off the sales people, trying to hit you up for whatever swag we had.

CFUN at least would have a hostess to help keep the massive (sure) crowds, in line.

Craziest place I ever broadcast from, was Disneyland. Oh, but that for another day.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:40 pm

Did many remotes for QM back in the day. The worst experience came from when a 'fan' somehow killed the power supply while I was 'mid-spiel. Worked out for the next cut-in though.

Generally, I found remotes of any kind to be a lot of fun. Our setup included a wired lectern for the announcer to lay out his log and copy and a mini-board for the on-site operator to run cartridge tape and keep in touch with the Master Control Room. We wore matching blazers and slacks with our logo on the breast pocket. A tie was mandatory except at sports events where an open shirt was okay. These days though it seems they're just cell phone cut-ins without class. Another change the industry could live without.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:20 pm

That location in front of the "then" Palace Hotel of 1955 is a least likely place anyone would choose for any parade route in the present.

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby arthurdent » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:36 pm

I'd have to look for a picture, but at CHNL Kamloops we had a great big Chevy van for remotes. The Spirit of NL had two turntables, we'd bring an ITC three-stack from the station and we had a transmitter in the van to link back to the studios. Both the driver and passenger seats would swing around to become spots for someone to sit and join the program. We had only one moment when someone unplugged us...but tons of fun on location.
arthurdent
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to BC Radio History