Hap Freeman of 70's era CFCN has passed away

Radio news from Alberta

Hap Freeman of 70's era CFCN has passed away

Postby calgaryguy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:28 pm

Former CFCN announcer and traffic chopper pilot, Hap Freeman, passed away this morning. Hap was also an announcer/personality with the Calgary Stampede and a former stunt car driver. He will be missed.
calgaryguy

Re: Hap Freeman of 70's era CFCN has passed away

Postby calgaryguy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:29 pm

I'm a friend of the family and created this account today to post Hap's passing. I expect an Obituary to be forthcoming in the Herald.
calgaryguy

Postby LITTLERIC » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:39 pm

So sorry to hear this. Early days of my career spent @ CFCN and Hap was one of the kindest folks there. Was recently in the process of digitizing photos and came across several I had taken of Hap doing weather on TV, as well as working in the radio control room. Hap was kind enough to let me know I had been victim of staff "hazing" so that I could fix something that would have gotten me in a lot of trouble about a half day later! Will never forget that! Wishing him the best in his next chapter....
LITTLERIC

Postby pave » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:09 am

When I was pulling afternoon drive at CFCN,"Happer"'s participation from the traffic chopper made us sound like we were working in The Bigs. During my tenure, "Frap" (Heeman) augered in at least twice just during our shifts, that I remember. He also went right back up - apparently a proclivity of former stunt-car drivers. A hard life but a good guy nevertheless. We were pals.

Hap also taught Jan and I - a couple of forlorn, greenhorn easterners - to ski and "turn 'em both ways". He was a magician in the powder.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby calgaryguy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:50 am

". During my tenure, "Frap" (Heeman) augered in at least twice just during our shifts,"

I believe Hap still had the tail rotor from one of his 'mishaps' hanging on the wall in his basement.

The loveable curmudgeon will be sorely missed.
calgaryguy

Postby pave » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:28 pm

Fortunately for Hap at the time, he didn't have to pull that tail rotor from out of his butt.
By the way, Hap always flew with a pilot as he was rubbernecking so much to deliver the reports.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby calgaryguy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:00 pm

calgaryguy

Postby raydeo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:27 pm

Wow - leave the country for 6 months and come back to find out what's been going on. Worked with Hap briefly at CFCN 1060 and we had some good laughs. May he rest in peace and rejoin some of the many fine guys and gals who played such a great role in radio when it was good radio!
raydeo

Return to Alberta